I Really Need Advice On Making A Topsy Turvey Cake

Decorating By makeupdivaa Updated 19 May 2010 , 3:37pm by leily

makeupdivaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeupdivaa Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 3

its my first one and i have a couple of questions? I'm planning to make it 3 tiers covered in fondant

1. can i use cake mix from a box (the extra moist one) or is it better to use a heavey cake for the base of the cake - i will be using dowels to help hold them.

2. should i freeze the cakes before carving them - if i so then should i freeze them again after i cover them with fondant? I heard that it is easier to cut when you freeze cakes. I rather not have to freeze them since i dont want condensation to form with the fondant.

Thanks

2 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 3

Here is a great video for you to watch that might help you out:

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 3

1) you can use cake mix. The cake itself does not support the cake above, the dowels and plates/carboard is what supports the cake above. The thing you need to make sure of is that your cake mix is sturdy enough to handle the carving and still support itself for each tier.

2) I like to freeze my cakes (but I bake them about 1 week before i need them) but i WON"T cut a frozen cake. I let it sit at room temp for about 20-30 mins so it is still COLD, but not frozen. Cold helps keep the crumbs tight while carving, Frozen sometimes it's just to hard to carve.

As for the fondant, even if you freeze your cakes, I wouldn't put the fondant on while the cake is frozen, make sure you let it thaw first, then you won't have any issues with condensation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%