Cake Filling

Decorating By katemegan Updated 19 May 2010 , 2:12pm by katemegan

katemegan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katemegan Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a cake for a graduation. One layer they would like raspberry filling. The other layer, lemon. I have never made a filled cake before. Is it OK to use Raspberry Jelly (or should I use preserves) and lemon pudding? Also, should I make a white cake or a yellow cake for each of these? I have never had a cake with lemon filling before (only vanilla custard). Does lemon seem odd in a cake? Lastly, I have yet to decide whether it will be a tiered cake or a sheet cake. If I make a sheet cake, I will make it just one layer. Is it extremely difficult to tort a single layer?

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
maggiesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiesmama Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 7

I have used instant pudding and also perserves as filling with no problem. I've never torted a sheet cake, but the big torter/leveler from Wilton works really well. I don't think lemon is odd for a cake, but I think white cake would complement it better than yellow cake. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 7

I either use lemon curd or lemon pie filling for the lemon filling...which is delicious by the way. I've used raspberry preserves and it's good. I actually prefer Henry and Henry raspberry filling. They make lemon too, but I've found it to be less lemony than the aforementioned. I also use Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mix with a half a teaspoon of Cream Bouquet added to the batter. It was our most popular cake at the bakery.
Can't tell it's from a box. The Cream Bouquet has a mild citrusy flavor. Use sparingly. You can find it at cake supply stores or online. Also the Henry and Henry fillings.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 7

make a raspberry or lemon flavored buttercream if your not sure about using a jam or pudding filling

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 7

I have raves reviews always when I use the raspberry filling on this site. It is simply a box of jello raspberry gelatine powder, to which you add a small jar of heated (microwave) seedless raspberry preserves or jam. It is wonderful! As far as lemon, I like the pudding powder mixed with 1 c. whipping cream and 1 c. milk. Let firm in refrigerator, then just spread it on. Delicious! HTH

katemegan Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone!

What about torting a single layer cake? I am going to put 4 9X13 cakes together. I have done 2 before without problem, but have never torted and filled them. I have only used filling between a two layer cake. I am nervous about the cake breaking or sticking, any advice?

katemegan Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

I have raves reviews always when I use the raspberry filling on this site. It is simply a box of jello raspberry gelatine powder, to which you add a small jar of heated (microwave) seedless raspberry preserves or jam. It is wonderful! As far as lemon, I like the pudding powder mixed with 1 c. whipping cream and 1 c. milk. Let firm in refrigerator, then just spread it on. Delicious! HTH

Sounds delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%