Oh Really?!?

Decorating By iamcakin Updated 20 May 2010 , 7:04pm by picakes

iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:53am
post #1 of 14

I like, and often use the website www.allrecipes.com .

I get regular email notifications on newest recipes, seasonal fare, etc., today's topic is "Home Made Weddings"; I'm sure you get where I'm going with this.

I particularly like the little sentence inserted between steps 8 & 9!

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Assembling-a-Wedding-Cake/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=37454190&prop26=Baking&prop27=2010-05-18&prop28=Intro&prop29=Link_1&me=1

Happy Hump-day, and happy bakin' icon_biggrin.gif .

13 replies
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 14

Wow, they sure make "trimming" the cake sound so easy! Woudln't you like to be a fly on the wall and watch someone try to do this stuff? icon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 14

This direction is my favorite:

Frost the cake round to create a smooth, even coating.

Because it's just that easy!

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 14

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I want to make THAT cake. Sounds so easy. thumbs_up.gif

rosiecast Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 14

Wow! I wish I had found this site sooner. I suck at getting frosting smooth. lol

iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Wow! I wish I had found this site sooner. I suck at getting frosting smooth. lol

Yep, I feel certain that after reading that simple sentence smoothing a cake, - especially a wedding cake will be a cinch!
icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 14

Rustic? In step 3, they describe a 2-layer cake as "rustic"? I agree a torted cake looks more elegant ..... but "rustic"?????? icon_eek.gif

Trim "the skin" off of the top AND BOTTOM???? icon_confused.gif Oh yeah, I want to see a cake civilian trim the flat side of the cake and STILL have a flat cake! icon_lol.gif

cakecraft Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 14

OMG, but did you watch the video that follows where they show how to CUT the cake? The baker started on the bottom tier. Without disassembling the tiers. icon_confused.gif She cut two slices and stopped, which is too bad-I would have loved to see what happened next icon_twisted.gif Geesh.

Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 14

LOL You may not get a great cake the first time following these instructions, but I really got a good laugh!!!!

catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #10 of 14

oooo, love the "smooth" instruction...if they only could have seen me fighting to get my buttercream smooth for the wedding cake I did last weekend! UGH! I hate buttercream and it hates me...LOL! So, yeah, just frost the cake till smooth! LOL!

CookieD-oh Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:45am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraft

OMG, but did you watch the video that follows where they show how to CUT the cake? The baker started on the bottom tier. Without disassembling the tiers. icon_confused.gif She cut two slices and stopped, which is too bad-I would have loved to see what happened next icon_twisted.gif Geesh.

Yeah, I saw that one a while back. I was confused. It was at that point that I decided to stop looking for cake decorating advice on that site. dunce.gif

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:56am
post #12 of 14

*slap forehead*

The next bride that comes along i will just direct her to that link and say - there you go petal - *just frost and smooth*
Easy peasy - who needs cakers - lolllll

Bluehue.

maryspencer2000 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 14

Note: butter- and cream cheese-based frostings will firm up more than frostings made with shortening.

Really???!!! Ummmm.............. I must be doing something wrong........

picakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 14

I'm still fairly new to cake decorating and was once a bride. I'm trying to imagine combining my first cake decorating experience with the week leading up to my wedding and I'm not getting a happy picture! I really feel sorry for any brides who actually tried this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%