Fishing Net

Decorating By taa-daa Updated 21 May 2010 , 2:26am by icingimages

taa-daa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taa-daa Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:43am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a fishing net to drap on a cake? All ideas and suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much!

6 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

I think I would try using sugar veil. It would drape very nicely. The other option that comes to mind would be to use very thin gumpaste put that will dry very quickly so you would have to cut your net (using a cutter such as Patchwork cutters trellis cutter) and get it on and in position or it will crack and break apart. Very thin fondant would give you more working time since it dries less quickly than gumpaste but it might sag. Experiment a bit and see what you like best.

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

There was a thread a while ago about a variation of royal icing were it dried flexible:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676017.html

Maybe something like that would work? It sounded like an inexpensive alternative to sugarveil.

taa-daa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taa-daa Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much everyone. I initially thought of Sugarveil. but the cost... then I was wondering if I could thing out gum paste... I got my answer on both! You guys rock! I am making a "beachy" wedding cake and am making a set od adirondack chairs and draped beach towels for the topper with shells (that will behave themselves after they dry) on the lower layers. I just wanted to do a bit of fishnet from one layer to the next. The bride, a friend, really prefers natural colors, so I where I would want to go with a lot of pop and fun I will be a bit more muted... but fun, there will be a quiet shark somewhere in the water, heh, heh, heh.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 7

you could try doing it by using string work. There has to be a pattern for it somewhere on here. I watched a youtube video on string work and it was so cool. I'll try to find the link for you.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

I made a volleyball net out of fondant with my extruder and it looked really cool- like an actual net! Unfortunately I made it too far in advance and it dried too hard. When I went to put it on the cake, it broke apart. But it did take a long time because I had to glue all the strings together.
I think I would try sugar veil in the future- it looks really flexible. But if it is too pricey for you, then the fondant is an option. Good luck!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #7 of 7

Sugarveil will definaltey do the trick. It is only $17 a pound and it goes quite a long way so you will be able to use it on many other products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%