I Can't Just Enjoy A Piece Of Cake Anymore!

Decorating By Meagan84 Updated 19 May 2010 , 7:26pm by VNatividad

Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 20

This weekend my family and I went to a birthday party whose cake I did not make myself. It was not a grocery store cake, it came from a local bekery in town that has a really great reputation. When I sat down to eat it, I couldn't just enjoy it, I had to try to figure out how it was different than mine, better or worse. I could tell they used artificial vanilla in the frosting, ginger instead of allspice (it was a carrot cake), and where the heck were the carrots? In my past life, when I myself was a cake muggle, I would have just enjoyed the cake and not picked it apart. It really was good cake. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the days when I could just enjoy it as the yummy dessert it is. icon_smile.gif

19 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 20

Sad really, isn't it?

I can hardly stand listening to details of any party, shower, birthday, wedding - just get to the part about the CAKE icon_confused.gif .

An obsession, and it gets worse...

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 20

Oh, I am aflicted with the same illness. With me it's become a chronic condition and although I hear there is no known cure, I get regular treatments here @ CC. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Sandy C

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #4 of 20

I agree.....there is no known cure. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 20

If loving cake is wrong...I don't want to be right. icon_wink.gif

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:18am
post #6 of 20

That's so funny! I can still enjoy cake - I rarely eat my own (unless it's scraps), so it's a treat to actually sit down and eat a piece. However - I find myself being really judgmental about how it looks - thinking, oh, I could have done that better. Which, I can in no means brag about my cakes, so it's just plain rude. Of course, this is an internal battle I have in my head - it's NEVER vocalized. Something always changes when you start being on the other side, doesn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

gscout73 Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:29am
post #7 of 20

OMG! It gets really, really bad. Someone brought in a cake from Publix (supermarket for those unfamiliar), which, depending on the store can actually taste pretty decent. But it looked aweful. I was so embarrassed when co-workers came to me and ask dunce.gif if it was one of my "creations." I nearly died. tapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif As each one would ask I put up my hands and said "I had nothing to do with that and take no responsiblity for it." I had to stop myself and almost used the word MESS but quickly substituted IT instead.

How could they mistake a sloppy supermarket sheet cake as my work? I know I am not the best, but I certainly have more skill than that. icon_cry.gif

But this afliction is contagious. My daughter now critiques cakes when she is out and about. And when we are together???: "Mom, do you see what I see? And they expect someone to pay for that?" or if at a gathering, she says "And they paid hard earned money for that?" We just can't help ourselves. icon_biggrin.gif

Sandy C.

gscout73 Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:35am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

If loving cake is wrong...I don't want to be right. icon_wink.gif

Amen icon_lol.gif

Sandy C.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:03am
post #9 of 20

I don't just do it w/ cakes. Tends to happen w/ almost everything I eat. Hubby (who's a fab cook in his own right) does it as well. One of the reasons there is a very short list of restaurants we'll eat at. What's the point of paying $40 or more for dinner if we can make it 10x better ourselves for half the cost?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:39am
post #10 of 20

My hubby is always asking me, "Can you just ENJOY the food? Do you always have to try to dissect it?" Sorry .... can't help it. It's just what we caterers and bakers do.

And especially since I can identify what foods came from what supplier. Was having breakfast with friends and one asked something about how long it must take to chop ham into little tiny squares for her omelet. I looked at her and told her to "don't be stupid ... it comes in a plastic bag already chopped." And you've all heard my Applebee's soup story with my sister! icon_lol.gif

I also used to work at a cremation casket manufacturing company. You should see me at funerals!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 20

[quote="indydebi"
I also used to work at a cremation casket manufacturing company. You should see me at funerals!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

OMGosh!!!
Debi, I would love to spend a day with you just listening to your "life-stories"!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Sad really, isn't it?

I can hardly stand listening to details of any party, shower, birthday, wedding - just get to the part about the CAKE icon_confused.gif .

An obsession, and it gets worse...

Whenever my friends/family go to a wedding or party that I didn't get to go to, I always ask them to get pictures of the cake. One time I didn't and when my hubby got back (his cousin's grad party) I asked him what was the cake like, he was just like "I don't know, I didn't really look." Now I"m always sure to ask him.

I work at a grocery store and if we ever get someone not show up to pick up their cake, it (sometimes) goes up to the breakroom. Everyone else scrambles to get up there and get a piece. I'm the only one that won't touch the stuff. They're all like, "don't you want a piece of cake? It's really good!" I just smile and say no thanks. They all think I'm on some kind of diet.

icon_lol.gif Ha!!!!!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 20

I hate cake period. I guess in my case, with the scraps and all, it's was too much. Give me a nice sugar cookie anyday, but I'll pass on cake. Sounds weird, but true.icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 20

I'm with Eisskween. I haven't ate cake in years (even BEFORE I started decorating) I don't eat cake or frosting of any type. I do NOT have a sugar tooth at all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Now I"m always sure to ask him.

omg, asking about the cake!

My only granddaughter was a flower girl once. She evidently was so pretty that the photogr pulled her aside and did a bunch of photos of her just for his portfolio. My daughter was telling me all of this on the phone. I'm sitting there patiently and finally burst out with, "ok ok ..... grandchild ... beautiful ... got all the attention ... everyone loved her ... blah blah blah ... I get it! Now ...... TELL ME ABOUT THE CAKE!!!!" icon_lol.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 20

i'm just a hobbyist, but you should see me at weddings ... i love taking pictures, so it's not uncommon for me to over a hundred photos on one night ... Nowadays half of the pictures are of the wedding and the other half are of the cakes!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 20

If it makes you feel any better it is a contagious affliction.

When my boyfriend and I first got together 4+ years ago he was fresh out of the army and had a palate that would make you cry. When we had been together about 2years we got invited to one of his friend's wedding.
I had been looking forward to having "wedding cake" for months.
Long story short the cake was very very dry, flavorless, the buttercream left a slick greasy feeling in my mouth and the fondant was wilton.
The funnies part of it is that he waited for me to take a bite and see if I liked it or not.

Now he very rarely eats any baked goods that I haven't made.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I'm with Eisskween. I haven't ate cake in years (even BEFORE I started decorating) I don't eat cake or frosting of any type. I do NOT have a sugar tooth at all.

I would trade places with you in a minute. I am always eating cake, especially ones I didn't make. I say it's in the name of research but I think I want to know if they are as good as mine. I always dissect the cake and know what ingredients have gone into. I wish I could stop but I can't.
There should be a support group.

Hello my name is LaLa and I love cake, lol.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 20

I sometimes crave cakes when I attend weddings, birthdays etc. I lost over 150 pounds and feel so much better. If I see a cake I remember when I had health issues-diabetes, high blood pressure. trouble walking etc. Now I am at a weight where I feel better. I just take pictures of cake and admire the cake. I do bake for friends or families but only healthy cakes.

I enjoy making gumpaste flowers-for my friend's bakery on weekends. but I don't bake anymore.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 20

In live in Los Angeles county in a predominately latino community. Cakes for most of our parties are purchashed from a Mexican bakery. I love, love, love, love our Mexican pastries, did I say love! BUT the cakes are usually bland and decorated with whipped cream. They all taste the same. Until I took a class I didn't realize there were so many options! The icings, the cake flavors and fillings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%