How In The World Did They Do This?!

Decorating By TheCakeMovers Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm by 7yyrt

TheCakeMovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeMovers Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 11

Hello all!

This is my first time posting here, and I think that this is the right place to do so! I've attached an image of a cake in which I have no idea what the brown strips are on the panels. I'm leaning a little to drizzled chocolate only because the flowers seem to be in chocolate as well, but I'm not sure you'd get this clean of a look from that! I don't think it's airbrushed, but I imagine it's possible it was handpainted. Could this have been handpainted with chocolate?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Courtney and Matt
LL

10 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 11

Ok, Im like a NEWBIE when it comes to cakes, but could it be that.....

they took a strip as you would choc. strips, painted on the dark choc....let it dry...and then go over that with another coat of white choc???...when it dries they just peel it off the strip, or cut it off to place on the cake in certain areas?....

Just a wild guess....

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 11

it's called a chocolate transfer.... they put the chocolate strips on acetate.... let it dry... then pour the white chocolate over it.... and when u remove the acetate.... you have white chocolate with chocolate strips.....

hth

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 11

How would you achieve the panels?

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 11

wow - that cake is really beautiful. Where did you find it?

thanks,
diem

TheCakeMovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeMovers Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 11

I found it just by searching for cakes on Google! Acetate would make perfect sense too...

Just curious, is it possible that it's something other than white chocolate as the panel since each piece is seemingly curved with the top and bottom of the cake? Could you lay down gumpaste or fondant sheets on top of the dark chocolate before it's completely cooled, and still have it peel away on the fondant or gumpaste? Thank you so much for your help!!!

Courtney and Matt

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 11

I've done something similar to this, but not on such a large scale.

Randomly roll some brown fondant ropes and lay them on your counter. Then roll a sheet of white fondant over that. The rolling will flatten the brown fondant onto the white fondant then you can cut out fondant panels.

The curve at the top of the cake is what makes me think it's fondant or some sort of flexible medium (candy clay?).

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #8 of 11

It's from bakingarts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7518775@N04/sets/72157623756370060/
They say it's "Pleated white and dark chocolate modeling paste with chocolate modeling paste roses. "
Here's a larger picture.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2757021844_6ff2b1e75a_b.jpg

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:35am
post #9 of 11

I actually have to do this cake later in the year. I emailed Richard to see if he would be willing to help me with the technique and he said he was thinking of doing instructional dvds on modelling chocolate. Just waiting to hear back from him.

mandik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandik Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 11

Briarview did you receive any information back yet??

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 11

Could they have put the dark streaks on the white, and then run it through a sheeter? Looks like that would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%