Ideas For Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By CakesbyCarla Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:24am by casme

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 17

I am trying to put more effort into my cake boards lately. I was wondering what creative ideas some of you have.

I'm alittle tired of the same old foil paper routine. Do any of you use fabric or toole (sp).?

Are there any paints that you know of that you could use to paint a board (of course the cake wouldn't touch it directly b/c it'd be on a round). I would think non toxic craft paints or acrylic would work maybe?

Just would like to hear your out of the box ideas. Thanks!

16 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 17

I was always using fun wrapping paper but was in a pinch the other day so I went scouring thru my closets! The only thing I found at the time was some tissue paper and that worked well, but I was thinking that someday I would like to try organic materials, like leaves or pressed flowers. I think that would be neat. You can also try fabrics, as you mentioned. For example, burlap or hankerchiefs would be fun for a western themed cake. Or, I had the idea of using copies of old black and white photographs for a anniversary cake.

The best part about the cake board is that you can do whatever your little heart desires! icon_biggrin.gif

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 17

I have used a vinyl tablecloth before. There are so many different patterns, and they are food safe also. Not to mention fairly inexpensive too.

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 17

So what do you put on top of the photos, fabric, wrapping paper, etc. to make it grease proof?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyj

So what do you put on top of the photos, fabric, wrapping paper, etc. to make it grease proof?

Some use clear contact paper. I use alot of different things but one of my favorites is freezer paper, shiny side up. It's pretty, inexpensive and food safe. It's also very durable.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 17

I'm with TracyJ, what do you put on top? I think the ideas are great, just can't picture what goes between the fabric, paper, etc. and the cake? Just the cake board? Won't the frosting get on whatever is covering the board? Just curious. Thanks

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 17

I love to make the cake drum out of fondant.... if the cake "calls" for a touch of color I use wrapping paper covered with contact paper (of course the cake is on a cake board so it doesn't touch the contact paper).... I also add "feet" to my cake drums so you don't have to try to slide your fingers under the cake to lift it/move it....

hth

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 17

dalis4joe - how do you add "feet". I like that idea. I'm always ruining the cake board when I try to lift it.

CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 17

I use lots of different wrapping papers and colored tissue. Then I cover with either plain or printed food safe cellophane. You can buy clear or printed rolls of cello online at several different places.

For example, for my upcoming graduation cakes, I cover the board in tissue paper of the school color and then cover with cello printed with graduation hats and streamers.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 17

I roll out fondant to fit and then can decorate it by painting, texturizing, adding decorations that can be rolled in, etc. and let it dry and harden. I then cover the edge with ribbon. Once the cake is gone the fondant is removed until next time

Ex: the cake is covered with leaves or flowers - I can cut some leaves to match and roll them into the fondant that will cover the board.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 17

I would also like to know how to add "feet" ... thanks

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMom5001

I would also like to know how to add "feet" ... thanks

I don't know how dalis does it but I've added "feet" to a few of mine and I used inexpensive wooden drawer knobs that you buy at the hardware store. They have a short pointed screw that you screw into the bottom of your cakedrum.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 17

my "feet" are the lids from my infant's baby food jars.
LL

marisab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisab Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #14 of 17

You can also glue a smaller size cake board to the bottom of the board you are using- just gives enough space to be able to get your fingers underneath for easy lifting.

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #15 of 17

marisab,
i LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea. very inexpensive and since its made from the same material, it doesnt look "micky mouse". sort of like it was meant to be that way. and it also has more support, doesnt scratch any surfaces and could literally disappear.

GREAT IDEA. I am going to use it every time. Thank you very much.

marisab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisab Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #16 of 17

Thank you! I would love to say it was my idea but it was something I picked up from one of the many talented decorators on the Planet Cake forum.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #17 of 17

Ditto, great idea!!! about slightly smaller cake round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%