Smbc = Not My Favorite!

Decorating By JustABite Updated 19 May 2010 , 4:21am by Loucinda

JustABite Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 6

Just tryed the Martha Stewart SMBC and it just is not for me! Guess I like the sweeter buttercream. Just felt like I was sucking on a stick of butter. Did I do something wrong?I have been so inspired lately by all of you!! I just wanted to make something new. So I tried the SMBC. Not sure what it is, but I am so wanting to improve my (short list of) skills. I have just signed up for my first set of classes. Hope this helps!. I am soooooo excited!

Sorry so long and thanks for reading! Most of all thanks for the inspiration!

5 replies
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

Try it again w/ a different recipe. IMHO, Martha's calls for too much butter.

Also, make sure you use unsalted butter and LOTS of vanilla (1-3 tbsp).

Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 6

My DH LOVES the meringue based buttercreams, but not many of my clients do. It is all in what you like. I will never forget Giada DeLaurentis making that statement on one of the cake challenges! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 6

I love SMBC. I use the Well Dressed Cake SMBC receipe from this site. I add 3/4 cup of melted white chocolate to mine. Raspberry puree also makes it really yummy. My favorite is white chocolate and raspberry puree combined. When I make it using just vanilla for flavoring I add at least 2 tablespoons.

I'd suggest adding more flavoring and trying another receipe. prterrell isn't the only one I'd seen to mention that Martha Stewart's receipe calls for too much butter.

CakeandDazzle Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 6

for 10 eggs i use 7 sticks of unsalted butter, 3.5 cups of sugar & 2Tbls of vanilla everyone LOVES it (except my 1 aunt who likes to like sugar off sugar off choclate off ice cream off candy.. lol she likes sweets)

Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #6 of 6

mamarobin - do you make fresh raspberry puree or do you use the sleeved raspberry (or some other form?) Sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%