Business By genevieveyum Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm by costumeczar

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Doug,
I defer to your authority.
Now I have a devil's advocate question, purely out of curiosity (I have no stake in this whatsoever): What if a student is eating lunch in the cafeteria, or observing hamsters eating lettuce in a classroom, and his/her photograph is taken and chosen for the yearbook, school newspaper, etc., but that student (also a minor) is of a religion that prohibits his/her photograph from being taken or used?

I can see the headlines, the accusations, and the school board running for the hills.

oooooo...that's a lovely conundrum.

first -- someone already mentioned that probably wouldn't be in a public school (Amish for example run own schools)

second -- hopefully parents would be proactive and make that clear right up front. After that, relatively easy to handle as long as individuals responsible for a given publication do proper photo editing (in journalism that includes choosing which photos go in, not merely trying to fix all the bad backgrounds, things growing out of heads, odd angles, and a host of other problems -- oops sorry -- already getting back into adviser mode!)

third -- if there should be a slip-up and the parents have not made wishes clear, then school would be protected by the rules of "news" and photo being taken without reasonable expectation of privacy.

and this: "photo being taken without reasonable expectation of privacy" is becoming more and more the case in every day life.

it used to be photographers were very easy to identify thanks to all the gear and the big ol' honkin' camera.

in this modern age of tiny cameras and even smaller cellphones with cameras, one can hardly claim there is any reasonable expectation of privacy no matter where you are.

technology once again runs WAY ahead of the laws ability to keep up.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:12pm
post #92 of 104

"Rogues" (or vampires) could find their way into public schools for whatever reason. (Oh, wait. Do vampires even have photographable images?)
I can't even imagine the frustration of celebrities trying to dodge the paparazzi. I'm thankful nobody WANTS my picture.

I hate the loss (or removal) of privacy.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #93 of 104
Quote:

And what if you refused to sign the release? What if you do not want your son's photo used in that manner?

Then the son's face would be pixellated in the photo, like they do on reality shows when they can't get someone to sign a model release.

Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #94 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

And what if you refused to sign the release? What if you do not want your son's photo used in that manner?

Then the son's face would be pixellated in the photo, like they do on reality shows when they can't get someone to sign a model release.

more likely being well acquainted with the technical skill level and work ethic of HS journalism students.....

picture would be cropped so as to eliminate the child. (far easier and faster than pixelating the photo (and most probably necessary to compensate for how photo was taken vs. the space it needs to fill.

tell me what is SO hard about turning a camera on it's side to get a full length photo or a good head/shoulders shot?!?!?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

more likely being well acquainted with the technical skill level and work ethic of HS journalism students.....

picture would be cropped so as to eliminate the child. (far easier and faster than pixelating the photo (and most probably necessary to compensate for how photo was taken vs. the space it needs to fill.

Actually pixellating is just as easy as cropping, and any high school student with an interest in photojournalism will have at least a basic working knowledge of Photoshop and imaging editing techniques. Cropping would probably be the first choice, but if the kid is in the middle of the shot that might not be feasible.

Quote:
Quote:

tell me what is SO hard about turning a camera on it's side to get a full length photo or a good head/shoulders shot?!?!?

The value added by a professional photographer is mostly in the quality of the camera/lens, lighting and backdrop management, retouching, and printing.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #96 of 104

Doug--I am sooooooo feeling your pain. Before leaving teaching, I spent 5 yrs as a HS newspaper advisor. There were regular battles over proper photo credits and the incomprehensible idea that they could not simply copy/paste pics from the internet to fill space w/an article.

Teenagers, gotta love 'em.

Kristy

Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

... and any high school student with an interest in photojournalism will have at least a basic working knowledge of Photoshop and imaging editing techniques. Cropping would probably be the first choice, but if the kid is in the middle of the shot that might not be feasible.

1) you are assuming the students are there because of an interest in journalism and not just to "get my picture and friend's pictures on every page of the yearbook!"

2) you are assuming they actually LEARN and do as taught when shown how to do all the marvelous tricks available in Photoshop. I

I kind you not -- last year they wanted to do the "cut-out" look where it's just the person and no background. Yes I did teach them how to do that using magic wand, etc. in Photoshop. Did they? NO. they thought it easier icon_confused.gif to use the yearbook company's online flash-based software to in paint out the background! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

whine they did: photoshop is just too hard! (oh puh-leeezz!)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The value added by a professional photographer is mostly in the quality of the camera/lens, lighting and backdrop management, retouching, and printing.

i was venting about, despite having multiple lessons on effective use of camera to take good newsworthy shots -- they still refuse to LEARN and do it -- too much trouble.

I don't have access to a pro for the day-to-day shots we need for stories, the candids to fill the yearbook, and the like.

Heck, I can't even under threat of failing get them to go to a home game to take photos.

(sorry to hijack -- but it's only 2 weeks until they return and the insanity starts!)

Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #98 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Doug--I am sooooooo feeling your pain. Before leaving teaching, I spent 5 yrs as a HS newspaper advisor. There were regular battles over proper photo credits and the incomprehensible idea that they could not simply copy/paste pics from the internet to fill space w/an article.

Teenagers, gotta love 'em.

Kristy

you have my sympathies and my congratulations for surviving it that long!

yep -- ya have to luv 'em -- it's illegal to kill them! (and there are times, boy there are times........)

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #99 of 104
Quote:

1) you are assuming the students are there because of an interest in journalism and not just to "get my picture and friend's pictures on every page of the yearbook!"

2) you are assuming they actually LEARN and do as taught when shown how to do all the marvelous tricks available in Photoshop

I had to laugh out loud at this... I was in Journalism my Freshman year, and Yearbook my Junior (sort-of) and Senior year of HS. My best friend and I were the opposite of your statement, we loved photography and layout design, the editing etc. because computers were new to us (Apple II E anyone) but I totally know "who" you're talking about. Ahh, the memories!!! icon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

Quote:

2) you are assuming they actually LEARN and do as taught when shown how to do all the marvelous tricks available in Photoshop

I had to laugh out loud at this... I was in Journalism my Freshman year, and Yearbook my Junior (sort-of) and Senior year of HS. My best friend and I were the opposite of your statement, we loved photography and layout design, the editing etc. because computers were new to us (Apple II E anyone) but I totally know "who" you're talking about. Ahh, the memories!!! icon_lol.gif

oh no -- don't remind me --

the era of proper cropers, those blue grid layout sheets, stickers on the backs of photos, waxers, rolling your own film, processing it too!, etc.

and then....along came...desktop publishing! zippity doo dah!!! and digital photography -- "why margret, we're cookin' with gas!"

of course I even date back to -- gasp -- mimeograph and gestetners

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #101 of 104

Can't you just smell the purple mimeo ink? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
I even recall a hand-cranked mimeograph machine. And purple fingers.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #102 of 104

When I first started teaching--yep, blue "ditto" machines. mmmmmm ditto smell.

When I firsted started teaching journalism--waxers, x-acto knives, blue grid layout and sending film out for developing w/the prayer that a few good shots would come back (no dark room on campus) We finally went digital when we could no longer get re-fill wax for the waxer.

When I left, they did full page digital layout and I've heard that they don't even do print now--everything is an online/website edition.

Kristy

Doug Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:06am
post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

When I left, they did full page digital layout and I've heard that they don't even do print now--everything is an online/website edition.

Kristy

yep -- newspaper is InDesign and then sent over internet to printer.

yearbook is all online using companies proprietary software.

----

however, that still doesn't solve the "we need pictures -- didn't you take them?" problem

or just plain tacky layouts

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #104 of 104
Quote:

I'm sure it could happen.

I did the PTA newsletter for years, and we weren't allowed to use pictures of kids unless there was permission. It's become a privacy issue especially since a lot of newsletters are sent electronically now.

The school permission form wasn't enough, the PTA had to have a separate form because we were a separate organization.

I think that if someone had an objection to having their child's picture taken it would have to be addressed to the school directly, since they take pictures of the kids all the time to use in "spirit day" kinds of programs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%