Copyright Ethics

Business By genevieveyum Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm by costumeczar

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:23pm
post #61 of 104

Where did we end up on that list of contact numbers? I just wouldn't know who to call if someone asked for a spongebob cake. Where did you all find the numbers for your copyrighted reproductions? Did I miss a link or something in this line of posts? Thanks!

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:00am
post #62 of 104

Why do we all assume that the character cakes we see are illegal? Couldn't the baker's have called and gotten permission? They don't have to state it. Just saying, I don't really like automatically assuming something is 'illegal' or 'unethical' without knowing full well the entire issue.

Also, just because a baker doesn't have a storefront may not mean she's illegal. I don't have a storefront and I'm not illegal (and, no, I am not allowed to have a home bakery).

I guess I'm just looking at the other side.
I'd hate to have someone think something I did was illegal or unethical just because they assumed all facts not in evidence.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:28am
post #63 of 104

yes if anyone has a list of #'s of who to call to get permission for character cakes that would be great!..I am new to cake making and i've done quite a few character cakes for friends and family...it's good practice to see how well you can duplicate something with cake....but after reading so many of these posts I think i'd be a little scared to advertise selling them..

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:46am
post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltCakeCity

Where did we end up on that list of contact numbers? I just wouldn't know who to call if someone asked for a spongebob cake. Where did you all find the numbers for your copyrighted reproductions? Did I miss a link or something in this line of posts? Thanks!

Creating a list of contact numbers would be a neverending process in my opinion. There are so many people that hold copyright/tradmarks on items. (expecially when getting into reproducing party ware plates and invitations, think mod mom for the baby showers or mod monkey for young birthdays)

The quickest way would be to google. So for instance on the spongebob search the first site that comes up says that Spongebob is a copyright of Viacom and Nickelodeon. It's not a direct link to either one of these companies, but you now know who to contact and you can look up their numbers.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:59am
post #65 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatD

yes if anyone has a list of #'s of who to call to get permission for character cakes that would be great!..I am new to cake making and i've done quite a few character cakes for friends and family...it's good practice to see how well you can duplicate something with cake....but after reading so many of these posts I think i'd be a little scared to advertise selling them..

There is not just one number to call for the character cakes. Since each character's copyright is held by a different company you would have to contact multiple companies. As for the character cakes themselves though i doubt anyone would give permission since they can not gaurentee that you would be able to reproduct their copyrighted character to their specifications.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #66 of 104

Quite a bit of character cakes are Disney characters. Unless you are a big chain or company, then that baker will not have copyright permission.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #67 of 104

It is all so overwhelming to me. I just got forwarded an email from DisneyFamily.com which gave a bunch of ideas on how to create Mickey Mouse cupcakes, etc. Now, based on previous comments, I assume the site is designed to show people these things and they are not "for sale". However, I looked over this site and no where did it make a disclaimer that you couldn't sell them. For me, I am now well aware of copyright infringment and will abide by the "better ask beforehand"...but someone who might not be on this site, or not up to speed on all the laws, might sell them.

It's discouraging...characters/buildings/etc. I understand it, but it's just discouraging.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:13am
post #68 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

It is all so overwhelming to me. I just got forwarded an email from DisneyFamily.com which gave a bunch of ideas on how to create Mickey Mouse cupcakes, etc. Now, based on previous comments, I assume the site is designed to show people these things and they are not "for sale". However, I looked over this site and no where did it make a disclaimer that you couldn't sell them. For me, I am now well aware of copyright infringment and will abide by the "better ask beforehand"...but someone who might not be on this site, or not up to speed on all the laws, might sell them.

If you're talking about these cupcakes I'm not so sure they would be covered under copyright...the "mouse" shape in the picture is probably too generic to be copyrightable. Of course you wouldn't be able to sell them as "Mickey Mouse cupcakes", but selling them as "mouse cupcakes" or "bear cupcakes" should be OK.

You'll notice that most of the edible projects on the site are based on non-copyrightable generic elements such as "Woody's Sheriff Badge Cookies" instead of likenesses of the characters themselves.[/url]

CakesbyCase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCase Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #69 of 104

I was surprised that I couldnt' even have my kids' school pictures photocopied onto the edible paper at a local bakery. I was designing a cake for their birthdays and wanted to include their pics as edible images. Guess I never realized that photographs are copyrighted too.

My solution - I took the pics and laminated them - put them on top of the cake. Worked just as well!

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:03pm
post #70 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

If you're talking about these cupcakes I'm not so sure they would be covered under copyright...the "mouse" shape in the picture is probably too generic to be copyrightable. Of course you wouldn't be able to sell them as "Mickey Mouse cupcakes", but selling them as "mouse cupcakes" or "bear cupcakes" should be OK.

You'll notice that most of the edible projects on the site are based on non-copyrightable generic elements such as "Woody's Sheriff Badge Cookies" instead of likenesses of the characters themselves.[/url]

The Mickey Mouse ears are however trademarked. The rather generic looking mouse ears (which those cupcakes are made to look like) are a trademarked logo of the Disney Corporation. Thus while not protected by copyright, they are a protected trademark which could make selling them even as mouse cupcakes a problem if it was argued they constituted trademark infringement. And in the case of that image, those cupcakes are made to look like the Disney mouse ears logo.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #71 of 104

See! Even when you try to not copyright/trademark something...you might accidentially do it (i.e. Mickey Mouse/mouse ears). It's such a fine line...

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #72 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprof

The Mickey Mouse ears are however trademarked. The rather generic looking mouse ears (which those cupcakes are made to look like) are a trademarked logo of the Disney Corporation. Thus while not protected by copyright, they are a protected trademark which could make selling them even as mouse cupcakes a problem if it was argued they constituted trademark infringement. And in the case of that image, those cupcakes are made to look like the Disney mouse ears logo.

Trademark infringement is more difficult to prosecute than copyright infringement...in order to be successful, a trademark infringement suit must show there is "likelihood of confusion" according to several specific legal elements (see the link below for details). You would probably only have an issue if you implied that your generic "mouse ear" cupcakes are officially licensed by Disney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_infringement

I'm not a lawyer and this post is not to be considered legal advice.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #73 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenziecakes

I was surprised that I couldnt' even have my kids' school pictures photocopied onto the edible paper at a local bakery. I was designing a cake for their birthdays and wanted to include their pics as edible images. Guess I never realized that photographs are copyrighted too.

If the school pictures were taken by a third party, that third party owns the copyright to the pictures and would have to authorize duplication. You shouldn't have a problem if you use a picture you took yourself, since you would own the copyright to said picture.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #74 of 104
Quote:

See! Even when you try to not copyright/trademark something...you might accidentially do it (i.e. Mickey Mouse/mouse ears). It's such a fine line...

Actually there is a pretty easy test. As a general rule it goes something like this: Are you relying on the intellectual/artistic work of someone else to produce your product (cakes, cookies, whatever)? Keep in mind that there may be exceptions to what kind of works are copyrighted but the artistic works most commonly reproduced on cakes--characters are most definitely protected.

Why is this an easy test? Because when it comes to images it is pretty simple. If you are reproducing a character then it is not a question, you are using someone else's work.

The only way it would not be an infringement (fair use exception does not count for baked goods) if the image has moved into the public domain. Which means its copyright protection has expired--but since copyright lasts the lifetime of the author + 70 years, probably not going to get many cakes where the work is in the public domain. And simply because it has been posted to the internet does not mean it is in the public domain. When it comes to most character images and photographs--the things most commonly produced in cakes the answer will generally be yes.

If your answer is you are not sure--then you should find out. Never err on the side of I did not know so no harm no foul. Infringement does not require intent.

As to trademarks again are you including any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods?

If the answer is yes such as producing a Coach bag with their trademarks on it, it is a pretty simple answer. Trademark infringement may be harder to prosecute but does not mean someone will not come after you.

Again if you are unsure you should check.

The simple rule to live by if you are including the work of someone else (particularly images) you likely have a copyright issue. When in doubt check. Err on the side of caution and you will not have to worry.

CakesbyCase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCase Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #75 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenziecakes

If the school pictures were taken by a third party, that third party owns the copyright to the pictures and would have to authorize duplication. You shouldn't have a problem if you use a picture you took yourself, since you would own the copyright to said picture.

I've since found out that IF the school photographer does not offer an 'edible image' as a product, then he should most likely sign a release of copyright for that specific product. I'll have to try that next time!

Laurieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurieg Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:43am
post #76 of 104

You can use school photos as an edible image, but you must first call and have a release form faxed to you. I have found most photographers readily send them free of charge. I have only had one that wanted to charge $20 for the release. They are used to geting requests for these and response is usually very quick.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #77 of 104

I wanted to put my kids' school pictures onto fabric for quilts I was making several yers ago. I requested permission from the photography company that took them. They sent me a photocopied form letter that was obviously a copy of a much-copied original. They must have granted permission all the time.

But really now, what could they do with pictures of OUR kids? They do not have our permission to use our kids' images for anything because we hold the "copyright" to those kids. Wouldn't THEY have to get OUR permission to use those images for anything?

jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

But really now, what could they do with pictures of OUR kids? They do not have our permission to use our kids' images for anything because we hold the "copyright" to those kids. Wouldn't THEY have to get OUR permission to use those images for anything?

That's not the way copyright works -- copyright is meant to protect the creator of an original work (such as a photograph) and ensure they are fairly compensated for their time, education, and equipment expense. Just like pastry chefs, photographers are professionals who invest a lot of time and money in producing their products. The fact that it's easier to duplicate the photographer's product does not make it any less valuable.

While technically a child is an original work, the thirteenth amendment would likely thwart your claim of ownership. icon_wink.gif

In any case, while the work itself (the photograph) is 100% owned by the photographer, your kid still has rights to his or her image, and unless the kid or their parent signed a model release form the photographer must get permission before using the image -- and I'm betting model release forms are required if you want your kid to get a school photo taken. So if you signed that form, the photographer has free reign.

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:27am
post #79 of 104

The photographer cannot publish those photos (in their brochure, for example) without parental consent. And, no, I never signed model release forms.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:27am
post #80 of 104
Quote:

My senior pictures were used in advertisements for the photographer. He didn't ask (or even tell) me beforehand, but did send me a copy of the flier it was being used on. I'm told it was also one of the ones hung up in his studio to advertise for the next year's group.

It might have been my face, but it was his photo and he had every right to use it in his ads if that's what he wanted.

For the record, I was psyched about it and never once had a negative thought about it.

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:49am
post #81 of 104

If the photographer hires someone as a model, the photos are the possession of the photographer to do with as he pleases.
In the case of school photos, the children are not paid as models. The photographer is paid to perform a service to the school and the families. I can't see how the photographer can use those photos any way he chooses, especially since the subjects are minors.
Defy, were you 18 at the timeyour photos were used?

jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:58am
post #82 of 104
Quote:

If the photographer hires someone as a model, the photos are the possession of the photographer to do with as he pleases.
In the case of school photos, the children are not paid as models. The photographer is paid to perform a service to the school and the families. I can't see how the photographer can use those photos any way he chooses, especially since the subjects are minors.

It doesn't matter if the kids aren't paid as models...if their parents signed a model release, the photographer can use the photo commercially.

I've been researching this issue, and apparently a model release is not required to post pictures on the photographer's web site if they are offered for sale, since it is considered a "vehicle of information". In fact, a model release is only required if the picture will be published for a commercial purpose that suggests the person in the picture subscribes to a particular idea, product, or service. The photographer can sell or license the picture to anyone without getting a release.

Interesting stuff.
Source: http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#summary

DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:26am
post #83 of 104
Quote:

Defy, were you 18 at the timeyour photos were used?

Every photographer I've ever been to made me sign a release saying they owned the pictures and could use them in advertisements or whatever else. The subject of the photo doesn't make it any less the property of the photographer, whether the picture is of a high school senior, a toddler, or an orange.

I was 18 when the photos were taken and used, but my age was never in question, since frankly, it didn't matter.

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #84 of 104

Once again, we (the parents) did not sign model release forms. I recall there being a deadline for ordering the photos "before the negatives were destroyed". And, really, what would anyone have done with those photos back then? No Facebook, no Picasa Web, no fax machines or scanners, no Youtube, no photographer websites, no emails to Grandma, no fondant cakes to put photos on, no fabric printing at home. You bought the pictures at school, then stuck 'em in a frame where they sat for all eternity.

I do vaguely recall one of my children attending an event at school, and receiving a form that parents had to sign. Parents could either grant or refuse permission for images of their children to be used for publicity purposes. I don't remember the details.

My earlier experiences with school photos pre-date digital photography. There was a greater respect for privacy back then. Things changed considerably with the advent of the internet. Photos were not posted for worldwide viewing (unless they were truly newsworthy). Disitribution of everyday images was not global with the old "film method". The photos had to be printed to exist, and that cost money. Digital is free, sort of. Digital is forever. Digital is instant gratification. Digital is worldwide distribution within seconds.

I'm clearly speaking from OLD experience. If I ever have professional photographs taken, I'll be sure to address this issue with the photographer beforehand.

Thanks for the information. Boy, I miss the days of privacy and discretion and consideration. No wonder celebrities are always suing ove these issues.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #85 of 104

and now that model release/photo use in PHOTOGRAPHER'S own adverts is covered....

the other main reason>>>

so YOU do NOT make reprints of the photos yourself by taking them to Sam's Club for instance.

that you HAVE to get reprints from the photographer so he/she is properly compensated for the experience, education, time, effort, overhead, etc. (just like cakes!) that when in to producing the photos.

-----

deal with the model release issue all the time as a journalism (newspaper & yearbook) adviser (SAVE ME!)

fast nut shell summary.

photographer owns photo.
NO need for model release IF taken where you have no "reasonable" expectation of privacy
No need if photo for journalistic (read news, criticism, commentary) purposes
Needed for any COMMERCIAL use

so -- photo of kids in cafeteria for yearbook -- no need
photo of kids at local pizza shop for shop's ad in yearbook -- gotta have it.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:33pm
post #86 of 104

In our school district, we do not sign model release forms with the individual photographer. However, we do sign a photo waiver form with the school allowing photographs of our children be used in yearbooks, advertisements, etc. It always comes with the umpteen other things we sign from the first day of school. Will that release be for the photographer as well?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #87 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

In our school district, we do not sign model release forms with the individual photographer. However, we do sign a photo waiver form with the school allowing photographs of our children be used in yearbooks, advertisements, etc. It always comes with the umpteen other things we sign from the first day of school. Will that release be for the photographer as well?

that form is just a CYA. Due to rules regarding news publications and all that other stuff -- not really needed for yearbook, newspaper, even the school website. This has already been sued over and decided in favor of school's using images taken during day for yearbook, newspaper and website. But, just in case, just to be overly careful, just to sure, they do the forms. (tho' on website always safest and best to use first names only or even no names and just give generic "Two of Ms. Smith's second graders see if Herman the Hamster prefers cake or lettuce for lunch. He prefers CAKE!"

would be needed for advertisements and probably covers the school photographer as well.

model releases are a function of COMMERCIAL sale/resale/licensing of images. If a profit is to be made somewhere, some how, then model release is needed.

my personal gripe is the COST of the packages! a rip-off!

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #88 of 104

Doug,
I defer to your authority.
Now I have a devil's advocate question, purely out of curiosity (I have no stake in this whatsoever): What if a student is eating lunch in the cafeteria, or observing hamsters eating lettuce in a classroom, and his/her photograph is taken and chosen for the yearbook, school newspaper, etc., but that student (also a minor) is of a religion that prohibits his/her photograph from being taken or used?

I can see the headlines, the accusations, and the school board running for the hills.

DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #89 of 104
Quote:

Doug,
I defer to your authority.
Now I have a devil's advocate question, purely out of curiosity (I have no stake in this whatsoever): What if a student is eating lunch in the cafeteria, or observing hamsters eating lettuce in a classroom, and his/her photograph is taken and chosen for the yearbook, school newspaper, etc., but that student (also a minor) is of a religion that prohibits his/her photograph from being taken or used?

I can see the headlines, the accusations, and the school board running for the hills.

Would that kid really be in a public school, though? It seems like people with specific beliefs like that usually go to private school with like-minded people, or would be home schooled.

Also, my son is in a charter school and I had to sign a release saying they can use any pictures they take for the school website or for publicity.

cutthecake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #90 of 104

I'm sure it could happen.
And what if you refused to sign the release? What if you do not want your son's photo used in that manner?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%