Round Cake Pan Question

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 19 May 2010 , 6:08pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone,

I am making my wedding cake in December (another thread for another time, LOL). The only reason I'm doing it is because it's going to be VERY simple. I had a question about cake pans. I have the Wilton 6 and 8 inch rounds (2 of each). I am also going to bake a 12 and 10 inch but I don't have those pans yet.

What are your opinions of the Wilton rounds? I don't even think I can get the 12" Wilton round at Michael's anymore because they are stocking the Celebrate It brand (which feels and looks identical to Wilton). I can use Michael's coupons and get the two pans I need really cheap or I can splurge for higher-quality Magic Line, which I may or may not use again in the future.

I guess my question is, do you think the Wilton Performance rounds would work well for a wedding cake?

Thanks in advance!

Annie

18 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 19

I have Wilton, Fat Daddios, and Magic Line - and use whatever I need. If you only bake for a hobby, Wilton would work fine. If you plan to continue to bake larger cakes, then you might want to invest in either of the other two.

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #3 of 19

I will BUMP it too....because IDK either but I hope you get an answer.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 19

I got some Fat Daddio's and Magic Line pans from Fondant Source online and they were cheaper than the Wilton ones. I had a Wilton 8" and a Fat Daddio's 8". When the cakes came out of the pans the one that had been baked in the Wilton one was more done on the outside and it was tougher on the outside and the Fat Daddio's pan had better texture on the outside. Needless to say I got rid of the Wilton pan and got another Fat Daddio's. Just my 2 cents.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 19

I don't like Wilton products, personally.

Whatever kind of pan you get, make sure it has straight sides, which means the pans of the same size cannot be nested together. Nesting pans result in cakes that actually have graduated diameters, which results in a cake that you have to trim the sides to be even.

I prefer Magic Line pans and Fat Daddios pans.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 19

All my pans are Wilton. They should be fine as long as you're not doing a 9". The 9" nests so the sides aren't straight which causes me to flip out because I think it's something I'm doing wrong. icon_smile.gif
I can get my hands on Fat Daddio but I think I'm going to order Magic Line online- as soon as I get beyond paying for shipping.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #7 of 19

I forgot to mention I was talking about rounds, not squares. I understand the corners of the Wilton squares aren't straight. I don't use squares very often unless I'm carving so the corners haven't been an issue for me- yet.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #8 of 19

wilton pans have been just fine for me for years....

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:41am
post #9 of 19

I use all different brands for the rounds....and they all work fine (wilton, magic line and fat daddios)

If you want nice square corners for square cakes, I only use magic line for those.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:45am
post #10 of 19

I baked my grandkids birthday cake last weekend. I grabbed out two of my 8" rounds and discovered after the fact that one was wilton and one was magic line.

The wilton cake didn't rise as high and I had a small issue getting it out of the pan. I had trouble getting the icing to stay on the cake, but only on the one that was baked in the wilton pan.

Agree with an above poster...... if it's a one time shot, the wilton will do. Otherwise invest in good pans.

(Pssst! This birthday cake is the WORST cake I've ever done! HAven't got pics up yet, but the ONLY reason I'm going to post them is to show "here's what it looks like when things go wrong"!!)

AnnieCahill Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:10am
post #11 of 19

Thanks for your replies. I looked at the Fondant Source website and the prices are reasonable for the Magic Line pans. I am not a hard core cake decorator but I go through phases where I get in the mood to do it, and then get frustrated with my lack of skills and then give up for a year or two (LOL). But I have had a couple people ask me to do cakes for them this year so I'm excited about that.

So if I go with the Magic Line pans, should I buy two each of the 6 and 8 inch and then one each of the other sizes I need? I know I can bake the 6 and 8 inch cakes together on the same rack but not sure about baking two 10 inch and larger cakes at the same time. What do you all think?

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:13am
post #12 of 19

You can put a 10 " and the 6" or 8" on each of the racks. I would definitely buy two of each pan. It is a pain waiting around for 2 separate big cakes to cook. I use the flower nail trick in my 10" pans instead of the heating core and it works great!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:33am
post #13 of 19

Just an FYI-- Wilton pans aren't really 2" tall, they're a little shorter. So if you're looking for 2" pans you might want to go with a better quality pan.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:49am
post #14 of 19

I prefer magicline and fat daddios pans. I find they bake more evenly. Wilton is a thinner pan. I started with them, but once I found out there were better pans available, I stocked up. I prefer using the 3" pans for the extra height, and always use a flower nail for a heating core on anything over 8".

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:13pm
post #15 of 19

I have two pans my mother used to bake my wedding cake 36 yrs ago. There are no markings on it, but I can assure you it's not a Wilton. I will be using those two pans in Nov for a friends wedding.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 19

For a cake as important as a wedding cake, I'd take no chances. Get the Magic Line pans and you will love them!

AnnieCahill Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 19

I think I will go ahead and get those pans. There is a set on Amazon which looks fairly reasonable. I may go ahead and purchase an additional 6 and 8 inch pan so I can bake them together. I guess for the larger cakes I will just go with one pan and do the first layer one day, and the second layer the next day and then freeze for a couple of days.

Looking back, I was always confused why my cakes came out with a hard crust on the outside (using the Wilton pans). They didn't get over-browned or anything, but the crust was hard and I even bake at 325. Hopefully switching to Magic Line will solve that problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Looking back, I was always confused why my cakes came out with a hard crust on the outside (using the Wilton pans). They didn't get over-browned or anything, but the crust was hard and I even bake at 325. Hopefully switching to Magic Line will solve that problem.

How did you treat your pans? Do you use baking strips or flower nails? What temp do you bake at?

I grease-only-no-flour my pans, using baking strips and reduce a home oven to 325. Here's a thread that explains the science of why the baking strips work: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888

AnnieCahill Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #19 of 19

I haven't done anything larger than 8 inches, so I didn't use a flower nail. I had baking strips a long time ago but I think they got tossed. I thought about buying more to see if that would fix the hard crust problem. I always bake at 325.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%