Urgent! Please Help, Cake Due This Saturday

Baking By Sylkladie Updated 24 May 2010 , 11:35am by Sylkladie

Sylkladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylkladie Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 15

I have a recipe for a white wedding cake for a 9" cake. Recipe calls for 6 egg whites my cake pan is a 16' and 4' high I tripled the recipe so instead of 6 egg whites I added 18 but it sank and it smelled and tasted eggy. can someone help. This is my first wedding cake and it looks like it's going to be my last. Your help will be greatly appreciated

14 replies
helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 15

If this is a tried and true recipe instead of tripling it make three regular batches then mix it together. The triple batch may not have gotten mixed properly unless you have a huge mixer. Just a thought. You might want to try the WASC it is awesome the recipe is on here. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 15

Did you do anything different when making the batter? Maybe left something out? Was one of the eggs bad?

I've made large cakes like you are making and haven't had any problems tripling the batter recipes. You could make the recipe in single batches and pour each batch as you make it into a large bowl, give a final mixing with a hand wisk and then pour into the pan and bake.

Are you using flower nails or anything to help the cake bake in the center? A cake that large is going to need some help in the baking so that you don't overbake the cake.

HTH's icon_smile.gif
Pam

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 15

Where did you get your recipe from? Baking for scratch can be tricky, that why I like to use weight instead of cups for measurements. my suggestions.. Get a recipe that you can triple oz per oz or grams, Joyofbaking has great recipes, ( I personally use grams ). weight the egg whites for the single recipe, then multiply it by three. Many times they sink b/c of uneven heat, specially if they are big pans... u can do the following to..

1. fill only 1/2
2. Use 3 flower nails in the pan when you pour the batter ( their is a tutorial here for that) this solved my problems,
3. Or heating core if you have one.
4. Use the baking strips.
5. When you convert the recipe, deduct 5 grams of the baking powder.

I hope this helps, good luck! BTW how many tiers?

Anna

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 15

when you use a lot of eggs in a recipe... you must beat really good after adding each one... (I know some people have this problem when making pound cake)

I add one egg or egg white or egg yolk... beat for 30 seconds... then the next and so on and so forth... if not...u might end up not beating the egg enough and have a cake with partial part of cooked egg/egg yolk or egg whites....

hth

Sylkladie Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 15

Thanks. for all your tips I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. This is a 3 tiered wedding cake. I will attempt this tomorrow again. I tried this recipe before and it turned out fine but I did it in a 9' pan. I will try doing one batch at a time then mixing it all together to see if I have better results. For some reason the cake sank in the middle and the egg whites floated to the top of the cake. Will let you know the outcome, crossing my fingers and doing a lot of praying tonight. Thanks

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:37am
post #7 of 15

I agree, mix one at a time, then combine. If I get in a hurry (which is never good!) and double or triple recipes, I will beat my eggs, then add them to my mixer. That has worked well for me, but make sure you use something, flower nail, baking strips, heating core, to help it to bake. Good Luck!

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 15

Stupid question, but why would you triple the recipe?? Surely you would need slightly less than double the amount for a 16" cake tin. icon_confused.gif

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 15

the best thing to do is double the recipe , not triple it. it goes so much better.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 15

In a pinch, i'd use the WASC just to get thru this weekend. It's a great wedding cake recipe and two batches of it should be plenty for your cake. Then you will have time to play around with your other recipe later. Cut your losses, get thru this wedding weekend and save yourself some stress.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance

Stupid question, but why would you triple the recipe?? Surely you would need slightly less than double the amount for a 16" cake tin. icon_confused.gif

A 12" pan does not hold twice the amount a 6" pan holds. The pan size only indicates the diameter of the pan, not the volume it holds. Think about placing a 6" pan inside a 12" pan. You get 6 extra inches of batter on BOTH sides, all the way around. That's much more than doubling the volume.

This chart... http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm ...shows how much batter a pan generally takes. You can see that a 6" pan takes 2 cups of batter while a 12" pan takes a whopping 7 1/2 cups, almost 4 times as much batter.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance

An 12" pan does not hold twice the amount a 6" pan holds. The pan size only indicates the diameter of the pan, not the volume it holds. Think about placing a 6" pan inside a 12" pan. You get 6 extra inches of batter on BOTH sides, all the way around. That's much more than doubling the volume.

This chart... http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm ...shows how much batter a pan generally takes. You can see that a 6" pan takes 2 cups of batter while a 12" pan takes a whopping 7 1/2 cups, almost 4 times as much batter.

Also you need to take into consideration how deep the pan is... 2", 3" and in this case 4, which in my opinion it's too big. at least for me...

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 15

thanks icon_smile.gif ...I did say it was a stupid question..... thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 15

I would try and bake 2 or 3 thinner layers......I think the depth of that cake may be the problem!

Sylkladie Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:35am
post #15 of 15

Guys, you are awesome, I can't say that enough. I went ahead and did the WASC recipe except I did make some changes. In exchange for sour cream I added applesauce and the cake came out really moist. Not sure what happened but I was informed that in cutting the cake some of it crumbled, but then I was told they were trying to rush through it and then the cake was cut and it came out fine. I guess they liked it , because they said there was not enough to go around I guess they didn't count on so many people showing up when they gave me the head count. Once again thank you so much (all of you) for helping me get through this weekend. I coudn't have done it without you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%