Refrigeration Requirements For Cake Fillings

Decorating By DianaI Updated 18 May 2010 , 11:37pm by hluterbach

DianaI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaI Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 3

I have searched on the forums but can't find my question posted (I'm sure it's out there somewhere). I'm running out of time so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I have an order for a Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese filling. I need to have the cake ready to deliver on Friday for a wedding reception on Saturday. The cake will be covered in fondant so I'm not concerned about it sitting out. But if I use the Cream Cheese filling from the 2lb tubes that I can buy at the restaurant supply store will it be O.K. to sit out that long or would it have to be refrigerated? The tubes are not refrigerated when you buy them but didn't know if once they are opened the ingredients have to be kept chilled.

Anyone have recommendations for a better Cream Cheese filling? And if you use a filling that requires refrigeration but the cake is covered in fondant....how do you work that out. Doesn't refrigeration mess up the fondant?

I have so many questions. I welcome any and all answers.

Thank you!!

2 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

Commercial cream cheese filling does not need refrigeration. It's pretty good. I use this all the time since I am not allowed in my state to sell perishable items. Another thing you can do is to put a few drops of Lorann's cheesecake flavor to your BC also.

Real cream cheese icing does need refrigeration even covered with fondant. You can refrigerate fondant, but that is in my environment. I use Satin Ice and do not have problems with refrigeration. I just prefer not to. I do not like cold cake. If you need to refrigerate, then just take your fondant out about an hour before serving and let the condensation dry. Do not touch it.

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 3

not sure if you have to refridgerate that stuff but i put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge all the time with no issues.
heidi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%