Cricut Mat Question?

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 19 May 2010 , 12:34am by ptanyer

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 11

I am sure the answer to this question is on here somewhere but i really don't have a whole lot of time to read through all of the cricut forums.

how do you get the sticky stuff off of the regular mats that you buy for the regular cricuts? i was going to purchase one of the cake mats but the shipping costs more than the mats.

thanks in advance

10 replies
ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 11

You can buy the regular cake mats at most craft stores that sell cricut products - no need to purchase online. I wouldn't recommend using a chemical solvent on something you are going to prepare food products on.

shelly-101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 11

thank ctinaw but there aren't any craft stores near me only walmart and they only sell regular cricut mats.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 11

soak the mat in some hot soapy water, regular dish detergent should take the stick off.

IF that doesn't work for you, you can try some goo be gone that will work.

shelly-101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 11

thank you peg818 i will try that

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 11

I read somewhere that they used their finger to "rub" it off.... then washed with hot water to get the remaining out...

hth

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 11

I used Dawn Power Dissolver on mine. Sprayed on, let sit a few minutes and then scrubbed it with a scrub brush. All gone icon_smile.gif And since it is made for dishes, it is safe to use to clean the mats.

Here's a link for the product (Walmart carries it):
http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/powerdissolver.do.

Hope that helps!
Pam

shelly-101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 11

thanks so much ladies

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 11

Just got my cricut cake today in the mail and had to try it out (with a little help from my 7 and 9 year olds) and I already cut the mat and fondant. Finally got it to work fine on low ... with no shortening ... yeah! Do you think I will be ok using a mat that has been cut into - or do I need to now buy a new one?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

I used Dawn Power Dissolver on mine. Sprayed on, let sit a few minutes and then scrubbed it with a scrub brush. All gone icon_smile.gif And since it is made for dishes, it is safe to use to clean the mats.

Here's a link for the product (Walmart carries it):
http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/powerdissolver.do.

Hope that helps!
Pam

a friend told me about this for dishes and for my stove.... I saw it at walmart... tried it... WOW!!! it's AMAZING!!! takes EVERYTHING off... I love it! now I always have it on hand...

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #11 of 11

Me too! It cleans anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%