2Nd Birthday Cake For A Little Guy That Doesn't Like Cake

Decorating By Faffy Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:38pm by dinascakes

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 18

My little nephew doesn't like cake of any kind, but his mommy wants him to have a "birthday cake" for his party. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to baking a cake. It is a farm theme. Any suggestions will be appricated. icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 18

Does he like brownies? I've made a brownie cake, rice krispies in the shape of a cake, and also an all ice cream "cake".

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 18

rice krispies is a great alternative....I did one tier of a wedding cake that way for a groom that hates cake (couple other family members that felt the same way) in hindsight the bride said she wished she would have done the whole thing in RKT because everyone was fighting over that ONE tier! lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 18

Giant cookie

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 18

My son doesn't like cake either but loves ice cream. You might be able to get away with ice cream cake? Of course that would be harder to decorate too.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 18

A cookie for him and coordinating cupcakes for the crowd...

Faffy Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 18

I like all the ideas. But just one question can you cover rice crispie treat with buttercream? and will it taste good? Maybe I should make farm animals with RCT covered in fondant instead of all fondant and he can eat those instead of cake?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 18

I have done a chocolate chip cookie cake (baked about 5-6 layers of chocolate chip cookies and then stacked, filled with buttercream, and decorated like a normal cake) here is the one that I did like that.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=959723

This cake I did the bottom tier of this cake in rice krispy treats as the birthday girl wanted something different along with the regular cake. I form them in my cake pans and then fill between the layers and ice just like a normal cake. Get tons of compliments on the buttercream and RKT flavors together.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1447570

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #9 of 18

I do brownie cakes. You can make 2 layers of brownies with buttercream in between. I would just not make them as dense if you make it from scratch. I have made a 6 inch, two layer with chocolate buttercream as the filling and chocolate buttercream on the outside as well. Topped with chocolate shavings. It was a big hit. Or you can do peanut butter buttercream or maybe strawberries as a filling and chocolate buttercream on the outside. I have tried covering it in fondant but I guess you could if you put on a nice thick crumb coat first.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:53am
post #10 of 18

This is one of those things that I look at and say, "He's two. Who cares?" Even if he DID like cake, he'd probably lose his attention span after 2-3 bites and move on to something else. The cake is for him to blow out the candle and for mommy to have a photo op ..... then all the adults and siblings eat the cake.

I have a grandson who just turned 3. Trust me on this one. It's really a "who cares" moment.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:24am
post #11 of 18

Debi beat me to it. Make the cake, everyone else will eat it. I'm sure there will be other food birthday boy likes.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:56am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This is one of those things that I look at and say, "He's two. Who cares?" Even if he DID like cake, he'd probably lose his attention span after 2-3 bites and move on to something else. The cake is for him to blow out the candle and for mommy to have a photo op ..... then all the adults and siblings eat the cake.

I have a grandson who just turned 3. Trust me on this one. It's really a "who cares" moment.

LOL - have to agree with Deb.
Make the cake - he won't care (only mum will)
And make him a biscuit in the shape of a cow or duck.

OR

Cover a dummy cake - mum still gets her photo

OR

as mentioned above - just make an ice cream cake.
Mum gets her photo shot and he gets something to blow a canlde out on and might even have a bite.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:41am
post #13 of 18

I'm yet to meet a child that doesn't like ice cream cake. The Australian Women's Weekly has a cute hedgehog ice cream cake that I made a friend once and it was a hit. You set the ice cream in a bowl, then put the flat side on the cake board, stick malt sticks in the ice cream for the spikes and one up front for the nose then cover the cake in Ice Magic and push some m&ms in for eyes. There's also a treasure chest cake that you make a mold in one bowl then in a bigger bowl, you make a chocolate shell mold. On top of the ice cream, you put coloured choc bits or other candy of your choice, then put the chocolate shell over the top. Top with Ice Magic and more coloured choc bits. Then the birthday person gets to smash the top choc shell revealing the treasure and ice cream below.

So I know neither option relates to the farm theme but they are some ideas for how you can decorate an ice cream cake. I also like your idea of the RKT farm animals.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 18

I agree with deb too. LOL make a cake. Thats what people want at a BD party.

I'd make the farm animals out of RKT, or even fondant gumpaste and tell him those were for him to eat. My kids LOVE to eat all my mistakes. and I had to make up a 5 batch of RKT the other day, I wasnt done sculpting and my family came in, thought the RTK left in the pan was extra and ate it all... HUBBY was the worst!!

Half the time, my kids have ate so many of the scraps, (hubby, and visiting dad too) that they dont even want cake at the party. I kid you not!! and the birthday kid NEVER sits to eat cake. too busy playing!

Faffy Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #15 of 18

Just wanted to update this topic. I asked my sister if my nephew likes chocolate chip cookies or RCT she said either would work. But after reading the comments about him being only two and not caring I thought what the heck, I will make a cake so he will blow out the candles and make some farm animal cookies for the treat bags and he can eat the extra cookies. This way we all get to eat cake (especially me icon_lol.gif )

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:29am
post #16 of 18

My daughter doesn't like cake either, but every year she can't wait to see her cake and blow the candles and all her friends eat it!

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #17 of 18

Since my son doesn't like cake last year I made him his monster truck cake (for us to eat) and him to play with and he had a giant ice cream sundae with another candle in it to blow out. He had his cute cake, lots of pics, and what he loves most, ice cream!

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 18

I've seen some farm cakes here on CC with a tier that's a haystack. Maybe you could make a cake layer and a "haystack" layer out of RKT and frost it in BC. Just a suggestion. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%