Advice On Obtaining An Apprenticeship?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 19 May 2010 , 6:49pm by BumbleBakeShop

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I am looking to break into the business, I have been doing cakes officially since the beginning of the year for friends and family.... I took all of the Wilton courses (originally just for fun), and from there I quickly realized, from insight from a VERY good instructor, that I had the talent, and I knew the direction I wanted to go.

I have also been applying to local businesses and shops, hopping for a shot at even the entry level jobs. A few emails back but am really getting nowhere. I have a background in Graphic Design, and I feel pretty confident in my experience/skills thus far. Even though i am not a complete "newbie", I think I can definitely benefit from even a "beginner job". I'm open to anything, i mean you have to start from somewhere, right? icon_wink.gif

I have been applying to posted jobs online (i submit my resume & a link to an online portfolio of my cakes)... I'm worried that they take one look at my resume, and "on paper" i have no "bakery" experience....But I can definitely say my experience thus far, and my background in Design... plays a HUGE roll.

Does anyone have any pointers on what i can do to get moving in the field of cake decorating?

Thanks all!

6 replies
ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

Wouldn't you need to have gone to pastry school to apply for an internship?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

? she said apprenticeship. but i should add that "internship" and "apprenticeship" can mean different things to different places.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 7

i hope you find some good info. i hope to one day break into the industry as well, but probably won't have the time or money for going to a culinary school.

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 7

Sorry not internship.... a paying job icon_wink.gif

CiNoRi Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #6 of 7

Anyone ? Oicon_smile.gif

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 7

I think it's just a matter of applying, applying and continuing to apply to jobs! Maybe bring samples of your work (take pics. of your cakes/cookies/cupcakes to your interview or submit them with your application). Also, I'd try to find a new bakery that's just opened. Since they're just starting out, they'll need to hire a whole batch of people and I believe that would increase your chances of getting hired. Again, I think it's just a matter of time and being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%