Mushy Cake From Fruit Filling- Help

Baking By MidHudsonCakes Updated 18 May 2010 , 7:06pm by Silviascakeart

MidHudsonCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MidHudsonCakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 4

I love how fresh fruit tastes in a cake. I put a layer of buttercream, then a thin layer of fresh cut fruit, then another layer of buttercream. The bottom layer(s) of cake always get mushy, even with refrigeration. I have a wedding cake to make with fresh strawberries, and don't want it to get mushy. Any suggestions? I know it can be done (my husband bought me a cake from Carlo's Bakery - you know, the Cake Boss - for my birthday, and that lasted a week with fresh strawberries), so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 4

Strawberries naturally give off syrup/water as soon as they are cut so they are saturating the cake below.I'm not sure if Carlo's Bakery is just cutting and layering without washing etc..I know if you add sugar to them they start to bleed liquid.There must be a tip....hope someone else chimes in!!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 4

My advice would have been to put layers of buttercream above and below the fruit too...How thick is your buttercream layers? Maybe using a thicker buttercream and thicker layers of it. I hope I am explaining this right...anyway...hope this helps. Good luck! Sounds delish...

Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 4

icon_rolleyes.gif Hi I have always used a strawberry filling with my fresh strawberries and have never heard or had any problems with
my cakes getting mushy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%