Wedding Cake For 400?????

Decorating By cakefusion Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:04am by mbark

cakefusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefusion Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 16

I have a potential client that has sent out 300 wedding invitations and is insiting on a cake that serves 400! Any ideas???? The pic that he showed be is just a 5 stacked tier cake (probably a 16,14,12,10 & 6) which will not serve 400. icon_cry.gif HELP!

15 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 16

Sometimes the cake desired in the size desired does not produce enough servings. The solution is to have sheet cakes at the ready. No one will know since the cake is going to be cut by the caterers anyway. Remember you can torte the sheets for fillings just like the bridal cake.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 16

Maybe you could do three cakes on one table. Maybe a 5-tiered in the center and a 3-tiered on each side??

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 16

I'm a little confused- is he looking for only a 5 tier cake or is he trying to serve 400? You could offer 5 square tiers 6-16 and then make a separate top for them to keep. THis would serve 398.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 16

I know I didn't get much sleep last night, but darn!, that's going to be one big cake I don't think I would want to make. I would have talked him into individual cakes for each table plus the one you mentioned but I'll be watching this to see how to accomplish that.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 16

Explain that you need another tier (or two) to have enough servings. Work out a design that reflects the other cake but has enough servings. Sketch something out and see what you come up with.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 16

the first thing I'd be asking is why do you want to serve 400 slices of cake when you'll probably only have about 200 ppl. at your wedding???

Aside from that, just do kitchen cakes to make up the rest of the servings!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefusion

I have a potential client that has sent out 300 wedding invitations and is insiting on a cake that serves 400!

Just to clarify, has he sent out 300 invitations or has he invited 300 guests? There IS a difference. 300 guests is 300 guests, 300 invitations could be up to 600 guests (give or take). So a cake for 400 might not be off... you might want to check on that.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 16

One thing besides the sheet cake supplements I mentioned earlier that you need to do is get a final head count a couple of weeks before the event. They'll have a better idea of how many will be attending at that time. Unless a hundred respond back that last week, you'll have the right count in plenty of time to plan.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 16

Meh, I did a cake that served 520. Easy.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 16

so don't forget to charge him for a 400 ppl serving cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefusion

I have a potential client that has sent out 300 wedding invitations and is insiting on a cake that serves 400!

Just to clarify, has he sent out 300 invitations or has he invited 300 guests? There IS a difference. 300 guests is 300 guests, 300 invitations could be up to 600 guests (give or take). So a cake for 400 might not be off... you might want to check on that.

Absolutely. The number of paper invitations he/she sent out is irrelavent. How many PEOPLE were invited. Take that number times 60% to get a rough idea.

I envy you getting to do a cake this big. I'd figure out how to do it with NO sheet cakes for the WOW factor! thumbs_up.gif

cakefusion Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for ALL of the great ideas and responses. Here are some updates.

1. They only have sent out approx. 300 invitations. That is not the confirmed amount of guests.
2. I have attached a pic of the cake.
3. I have gotten them to agree on doing a wedding cake that serves around 300 and having a seperate grooms cake that will serve an additional 70 people. icon_twisted.gif P.S. I still think that they will have a lot of cake left over.
LL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Sometimes the cake desired in the size desired does not produce enough servings. The solution is to have sheet cakes at the ready. No one will know since the cake is going to be cut by the caterers anyway. Remember you can torte the sheets for fillings just like the bridal cake.

I wouldn't suggest sheet cakes, i would suggest Kitchen cakes. If you do sheet cakes, there will be a difference in the way the cake looks from the what the wedding cake is when it is cut

Sheet cake - 2" tall cake w/o filling
Kitchen cake - 4" tall cake with filling and tortes to match each tier in the wedding cake.

As for the wedding cake, i'm assuming that what you're looking at was round, but as mentioned above, what about square cake?

You could do
18" - 162 servings
15" - 112
12" - 72
9" - 40
6" - 18

Serve the top 6" for a total of 404 servings. Then you can make an additional top tier and have it boxed up already for the couple, or give them a certificate for you to make a new on for their one year anniversary

cakefusion Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #15 of 16

Thanks leily! thumbs_up.gif That is a great suggestion. I will ask and see if they want to do the square instead of the round. I have never thought of the certificate idea to do a fresh cake on the 1 year anniversary! BRILLIANT!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all the wisdom, I will keep you posted on this one icon_razz.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #16 of 16

carmijok your little kitty with whatever on its head is so hilarious!
cakefusion good luck whatever you decide to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%