How Do I Create A Doctored Red Velvet Cake.....

Baking By diamondsmom Updated 18 May 2010 , 7:09pm by diamondsmom

diamondsmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hi CC Family,

I just got an order for a red velvet cake for a baby shower on Thursday. I've never done a red velvet before, and I've always used the WASC cake version for all my cakes (YUMMY). what kind of cake mix can i use to pull this off?

The red velvet cake mix itself is kinda hard to find at the supermarkets....was thinking a chocolate cake with food coloring, don't know how that would turn out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 replies
melmar02 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 14

If you can't find a red velvet mix to doctor, try adding about 3 Tbls cocoa powder and 1oz red color to your white WASC. thumbs_up.gif

diamondsmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks.....I definitely can't find red u think i can use German Chocolate with the food coloring?

melmar02 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 14

I think using a chocolate mix of any kind would be way too dark for the red to show up. I just made a scratch red velvet cake this weekend and there was only a couple of Tbls of cocoa powder in it. It has chocolate in it, but I wouldn't really call a red velvet a chocolate cake. It sounds like you really want the chocolate flavor though, so if you have time, can you make a sample cake or two to compare?

newmansmom2004 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 14

How about using the Martha Stewart red velvet recipe? It's very good - I've made it a few times. The thing with red velvet is that it's not really a chocolate cake and any chocolate based mix you use might not give that 'red velvet' flavor that people seem to love about it.

Just google Martha Stewart red velvet cake and you'll get links for the recipe.

carmijok Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 14

There are awesome red velvet recipes out there, why not just find one and use that? If you're set on a mix, you might try a butter cake mix and use buttermilk as the liquid and a couple of tsp of cocoa as well as red food coloring--the gel kind. Red Velvet is not a chocolate cake. It has a taste all it's own which is hard to describe...other than Red Velvet! You really should experiment first i think.

Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 14

I use the Chocolate WASC type recipe here, but I use the DH red velvet and use buttermilk instead of the water. It works really good for me.

diamondsmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 14

thanks guys, i'll let u know what i did and how it turned out.

MommaDukes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 14

Check Walmart I just bought a red velvet from Wallyworld.

dettdunn Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 14

I use DH Red Velvet mix, add 8oz of sour cream, 1 extra egg, and 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee to the water

kello Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 14

You can use a french vanilla cake mix with a 1/2 cup choc cake mix added to it....then fallow the wasc recipe along with the red color.

Chasey Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 14

When I asked about RV recipes, here are the top 2 that were quickly recommended. I am posting a doctored DH Red Velvet mix I was given as well...if you can find that mix at the grocery store.

Sarahs Red Velvet
(Sarah asked for her recipe to be pulled. So let's honor her request.)

Sarah's RVC tweaked:

Cakeman Raven "Southern Red Velvet Cake"

Cream Cheese Frosting:

(See above link.)

Doctored box mix..

Red Velvet ReduxEasy & Durable (by BlakesCakes)

lilyankee5688 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 14

On a forum in the past about RV, there was someone that posted this site. I made this cake for my birthday, and enjoyed the cake by myself. ha ha it was super good. You wouldnt need to make the cheesecake, but the the red velvet cake was very good. I will make it again! The pic of my cake is in my pictures, It was very chocolaty, and nice red color. (the pic doesnt show the good color bc it was my cell phone camera)

diamondsmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 14

Hey guys,

So I found some RV cake mix at the grocery the last 2 on the shelf. i'm gonna doctor it up and give it a go.

thanks guys......

Quote by @%username% on %date%