Any Suggestions For This Wedding Cake Design?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 2:12am by Christy0722

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 32

I am doing a wedding cake this coming weekend for a very special circumstance. I have been given a picture of what the bride envisioned her cake to look like but was told later that I could have the freedom to enhance her design to make it more artistic (and to bring it up a few decades!). I'm attaching the design that I have come up with so far but I'm wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for what to do with the sides of the cake? The wedding is a western theme so I thought I would add the horseshoes and the robe border. I also have a string of silver beads which I will attach to the 1 inch blue ribbon. I was also given a pair of silver 2 inch high cowboy boots and a (very) small white cowboy hat to place on the cake. Like I said, this is a very special circumstance! Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!
LL
LL

31 replies
cherrycakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 32

Somehow I wasn't able to attach another file so here's the drawing that I have come up with so far...
LL

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 32

Honestly, I can't really see the design on the cake in the photographs and it just looks like it's not smooth-iced, which I'm sure is not the case.

Personally, I think your design is fine and doesn't need anything added to it at all.

cherrycakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 32

Oh, sorry - I should have mentioned that! The "cake" in the pictures was actually done with fabric so it's definitely not smooth. I'm just wondering if I should pipe some swags or something to dress up the sides a bit more?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #5 of 32

I wouldn't.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 32

I liked your design, but remember to put the horseshoes with opening at top, not pointed down. It is an old superstition, that the horseshoe pointed down means all the luck has run out. icon_lol.gif

cherrycakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I liked your design, but remember to put the horseshoes with opening at top, not pointed down. It is an old superstition, that the horseshoe pointed down means all the luck has run out. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the heads-up! I actually didn't know that!!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #8 of 32

I like your design, too, and like prterrell, I don't think that you need swags.
Since the boots and hat are so small you may want to see how they look placed in among the gum-paste roses, and then maybe moving the horseshoes on the bottom layer - and don't let the luck run out!

HTH icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:07am
post #9 of 32

your design looks good but what in the world is that white & blue disaster? is it a fabric cake? hot mess!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

your design looks good but what in the world is that white & blue disaster? is it a fabric cake? hot mess!

cherrycakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #11 of 32
Quote:

That was my thought exactly!! I'm just trying to stay close to her overall wishes but add some class to the cake, although I only found out lately that I need to incorporate the western theme into it! Yikes!!

I also thought about trying to put the boots and hat in the roses - should I add a few roses to the base of the bottom and top tiers and then maybe put the boots/hat beside the bottom tier? Believe me, I'm not totally into this cake either!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, I should add that I found a string of silver balls (like those white pearls that they used to put on cakes except there are three rows of balls stacked on top of each other) that I could put on top of the ribbon - would that help tie in the silver boots?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #12 of 32

just checked your photos & you do amazing work! I'm sure the cake will be gorgeous & beyond what she ever expected.

cherrycakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #13 of 32
Quote:

just checked your photos & you do amazing work! I'm sure the cake will be gorgeous & beyond what she ever expected.

You are very kind!! Thank you icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #14 of 32

I just thought I would post a picture of the final product. Thanks again for all of your suggestions! I was quite happy with how it turned out although I'm intentionally not posting a picture of the cake with the beautiful cake topper icon_rolleyes.gif that I had to put on it!!
LL

iamcakin Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I was quite happy with how it turned out

"quite happy"...QUITE HAPPY?!?

Girl, you should be beside-yourself-happy. It's amazing! Your icing is so smooooth, the rope borders are beautiful, and most importantly, (IMHO), you took a dated design and made it so look nice - really a wonderful job!

thumbs_up.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 32

Looks lovely! But you know we all want to see the wonderful topper you put on there!!! Post it here.... No One needs to know.....

;D

cherrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 32

Really??? You really want to see it?? Okay, I'll post it and you can also marvel at the lovely vending machine that was directly behind the cake. I was crossing my fingers that no one would buy a bag of chips during the reception and make the cake topple to the ground!!!

So here it is...

Oh, I should have added...right before delivery I started to feel that I didn't make it western enough so I added the piped horseshoes. I defintely prefer the cleaner look but it wasn't my wedding cake either!!
LL

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 32

Oh, boy. (I'm a cleaner look kind a gal too icon_biggrin.gif Loved your original.)

iamcakin Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 32

icon_confused.gif um, yeah...

Never the less, I bet the B & G were thrilled!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #20 of 32

DUDE!! Yeah! Your first one was great! It always amazes me what they place the cake in front of!!

I did this cake for a wedding at our local country club (My peacock cake) I get there to deliver it and there isn't a place for it!!! I had to wait while they scrambled around for a table and cloth to put it on!!! UGH! Hello Bride.... You ordered a cake.... might want to let the venue know!! LOL It ended up in front of a door! Such a distracting background. door handle sticking out the side of the cake!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #21 of 32

YOUR CAKE IS GORGEOUS !!! thats sums it up. thumbs_up.gif

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #22 of 32

I just wanted to say thanks for posting a picture of the finished product. So many people start threads and then never let us see the end result. You did a great job!

cherrycakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #23 of 32

You guys are all too kind!! Thanks for all your comments - I appreciate them very much icon_smile.gif

jayarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayarr Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:50am
post #24 of 32

Your cake design is great . Very creative . I like that .

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #25 of 32

Considering what you had to work with, the cake turned out awesome! A huge improvement on the original. Too bad they had to spoil it with the topper. Then again, it was their cake, so ultimately, if they were happy you did a good job.

I never knew about the "luck run out" and the horseshoes. It is interesting what you can learn on CC!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #26 of 32

Your cake is absolutely beautiful!! I was looking at the topper and the round rings are actually dreamcatchers. They are part of the Native American culture. They say if you hang one over your bed it only allows good dreams to filter through . . . Bad dreams would stay in the net, disappearing with the light of day. Good dreams would pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper. Some indian nations consider the dreamcatcher a symbol of unity.
Just adding my little bit of knowledge. icon_wink.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #27 of 32

Your cake is beautiful! (I actually like the boots and hat 'tucked' in there. That's the first dream catcher topper I've ever seen...that is what that is, ain't it?

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 31 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #28 of 32

you did A great job

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #29 of 32

sorry christy0722. I just noticed your post with your explanation of the topper...are they common in some parts (the dreamcatcher toppers)?

at first glance, I thought it was one of those stringart owls.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #30 of 32

And I thought Penguins as a topper was crazy. OMG the things you see here in Cake Central.
I also never thought I would learn about the "running out of luck" meaning here in Cake Central.
You did a wonderful job, with what they ask for. Thanks for posting both pictures and explaining the whole story.
If the bride and groom are happy, then we should be happy too. Right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%