Has Anyone Done This......help Help Help

Decorating By brett9008 Updated 18 May 2010 , 6:16pm by catlharper

brett9008 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who wants to feed 300 people at her wedding. She wants a 3 tiered cake....and also wants one simple cake on each table for the guests to eat after the main cake is cut. Can someone give ideas and advice on how to do this??? I'm afraid there is gonna be way way too much cake, and I want to make this affordable for the customer. What is the best way to do this?

9 replies
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 10

I would suggest 6 inch cakes for the tables and one 10/8/6 decorated one for the cake table. They will end up with too much cake still (since the ones on the table are more than enough for the guests) but it sounds like what she is looking for. So that's 8 servings for each table and a little over 50 for the cake table. Not sure how affordable that is for the bride but it sounds like the easiest solution to me. HTH. Cat

careylynn Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 10

Catlharper, that estimate for servings seem low to me, using a 10/8/6 would serve more likely 75 and a 6 in at each table would be 10. I wouldn't low ball it, that is alot of work and alot of cake. If that is what the bride wants, she'll pay for it. Brett9008, if you are concerned that she'll have too much cake and want to make it affordable, I would just explain it to her. What about doing the cake for the table in mostly cake dummies. You could do a real cake for the topper, for them to take home and freeze, and then the guest could eat the cakes at the tables. This would solve the "too much" cake problem, and she would ultimately get what she wants. I've read from people on here that they still charge the same price for a cake dummy as they would for a real cake, so you aren't losing money on it either. Or, if you are so kind hearted you can down your price on the dummies, to save the bride money. Just a thought icon_smile.gif HTH

metria Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 10

i remember a thread about this a long time ago. make sure you have enough space in your work area to even accommodate that much cake! hopefully the cake won't need to be refrigerated!

tonedna Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 10

I did a wedding like this. It's expensive, the bride needs to face the truth that
if she wants this she needs to pay for the work. It's a lot of work and I don't think you need to lower your price. I think you need to make her understand that if she can't pay for this, the option is just a regular cake.

Remember that when the bride does this, she is saving money on center pieces for the table.

Another thing is...the cakes on each table they dont have to be cut. It could be a gift for one person in the table..Like putting a paper under a chair and that person that sits on the chair gets to take the cake home.
Edna icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 10

Get a grip folks. A 6" cake (which is PLENTY) for each table is designed to serve 12-14 per the Wilton chart. That's how many it serves. The number of chairs around the table is absolutely, totally irrelevant. You will charge for that cake based on the number of servings it's *designed* to yield.

A three tier 6/8/10 should feed the wedding party and parents, perhaps with the top to save, and perhaps with a fake 10" on the bottom.

I love doing centerpiece cakes and often suggest them, but keep in mind the number of servings has nothing at all to do with how many people are at the table. And charge accordingly.

careylynn Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 10

I agree Leah. Charge accordingly. And, catlharper, you're right about the servings on the tiered cake, competely forgot about not cutting the top icon_wink.gif

tmac670 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 10

It is not your job to make things affordable for the client. If she wants the WOW factor-- she pays the WOW price tag.

carmijok Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 10

While a 6" cake is supposed to feed 12 to 14 people...it may not because of who will be cutting the cake...which is a question you might ask the bride. Are the guests responsible for cutting their own piece of cake? Not sure how I'd like it as a guest. Maybe it's no big deal. But Wilton bases their per serving chart by the size of the slice. Ham-handed Uncle Joe may decide a 4" slice is just dandy. Just a thought for consideration! thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

While a 6" cake is supposed to feed 12 to 14 people...it may not because of who will be cutting the cake...which is a question you might ask the bride. Are the guests responsible for cutting their own piece of cake? Not sure how I'd like it as a guest. Maybe it's no big deal. But Wilton bases their per serving chart by the size of the slice. Ham-handed Uncle Joe may decide a 4" slice is just dandy. Just a thought for consideration! thumbs_up.gif

This is why I said 8 servings...I assumed the guests would be serving themselves and, as I have seen at too many weddings, the catering staff may not know how to cut the cake at the cake table and you end up with many less servings than you'd think so I've learned to underestimate the serving sizes if I know I'm not cutting/serving the cake.

I like the idea put out for the cake dummy on the bottom...gives her the three tier look and she'd only need to do the 8 and 6 inch cakes on top of the 10 inch dummy.

Either way it's going to be expensive...hope the bride understands that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%