Pipping Gel

Decorating By southwesterncakediva Updated 18 May 2010 , 10:56pm by FACSlady

southwesterncakediva Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 8

I want to do a cake this weekend for a friend and it has pipping gel on it ,do I put it on at the last minute or is it ok to put it on as I am decorating everything else. Never used it to decorate before. It is actually going on buttercream icing does that make a difference. Thanks

7 replies
KristyCakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

I've added it to the surface of a fondant cake (stained glass rooster in my pics) and it was fine over night. Good luck.

Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8

It's fine overnight or so...but the biggest problem I had with it is that if anything touches it, it smears, so I always put it on last. That's what I did with my spiderman cake.

MommaDukes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 8

I have a piping gel question too, I want to make a cake with a pool on it as a thank you to the pool company for all the help thy've been. I've found a cake on here, my question how do you do the water?
Do I mix a little coloring with the piping gel and make a dam for the pool walls?
HELP.. I'm a mess is progress when it comes to cake decorating.-

Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 8

Do you have a pic of the cake with the pool? As far as coloring the gel, I just use piping gel. That's how I did the black gel.

FACSlady Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 8

For my "inground" pool, I dug out a shallow portion of cake and frosted it with white. Put just a bit of color into your gel until it reaches the color you want. It's helpful to mix the color in a container that's white. Just spoon the gel in. It will be fine done a day or two ahead.

MommaDukes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 8

Do you have a pic of the cake with the pool? As far as coloring the gel, I just use piping gel. That's how I did the black gel.

Yes, I found it on here, but I do not know how to get it to this message. Can anyone help me?

FACSlady Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 8

You'll find the pool cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%