What Icing Goes With...

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 31 Aug 2005 , 6:00pm by luv2cake

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 8

Red Velvet Cake?

I was thinking that it was the cream cheese icing, but I have also heard others say white chocolate, or maybe sour cream???

I took a last minute order for a red velvet cake for tomorrow and I'm not sure what icing compliments this cake. Please let me know what you think.

Also, I have done several different searches looking for the crusting cream cheese icing and can't seem to find the recipe. I have found where people talk about it, but can't come up with the recipe.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brandi

7 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 8

Red velvet isn't red velvet without cream cheese icing, to me! lol icon_biggrin.gif

If I'm decorating on it, I use regular buttercream as well with a little cream cheese added so it's not so soft. And just make the filling cream cheese.

As long as it is white! There is a recipe here I want to try (the Waldorf one) and it uses regular buttercream.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 8

I never heard of red velvet cake until I moved to the South.
What flavor exactly is it? icon_confused.gif

luv2cake Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 8

It is a deep red colored cake. It is soooo yummy. It is actually a chocolate cake. There is cocoa in it, but it doesn't look chocolate.

Duncan Hines makes a mix that you can try. You could also make it from scratch.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks luv2cake. I'll have to try it now.

I also like your tagline!

Joan

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 8

If you use cream cheese, it will need to be refridgerated. Some only believe in cream cheese, so I'd call her and explain that if she wants cream cheese it's going to need to be kept cold. Otherwise you can do vanilla buttercream. I have made it both ways and like buttercream better. However I am not from the South. icon_smile.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 8

Around here Red Velvet isn't Red Velvet if it doesn't have cream cheese icing. So if you are going to use another icing I'd be sure and check with the customer.

Here's the recipe:

CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.

This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.

If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

luv2cake Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 8

Fantastic! Abbey you are the best. I was beginning to think that I would never find this recipe.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%