Luster Dust Or What?

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 20 May 2010 , 11:01am by Texas_Rose

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make branches running up a cake for a wedding in June. I thought about doing them out of fondant and painting them gold to match her topper, Which is a tree, I tried gumpaste with rum, with Wiltons dust and it wouldnt cover anything it just balled up, was it the rum or what? Im getting desparate since the cake is going to be iced in BC Any info out there , Thanks

9 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 10

When you do this process you have to let the gumpaste become dry before painting it. I've never heard of using rum, just clear alcohol like vodka or clear extracts like the wilton vanilla to mix with the luster dust for painting. The way your post reads it almost sounds like you mixed the gumpaste with the luster dust and rum which would just make a mess. Make the tree out of fondant or gumpaste and then paint it with a mix of luster dust and clear alcohol. That should work if you let the fondant set up for a few hours...otherwise the paint brush will leave marks in the soft fondant (it will also be harder to set up on the cake but if you set it on the cake and then paint you should be ok.) HTH! Cat

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 10

I find that the "paint" needs to be quite thick inorder to get a good coverage.. if it's too runny you'll end up looking streaky...

cakebaker1957 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

When you do this process you have to let the gumpaste become dry before painting it. I've never heard of using rum, just clear alcohol like vodka or clear extracts like the wilton vanilla to mix with the luster dust for painting. The way your post reads it almost sounds like you mixed the gumpaste with the luster dust and rum which would just make a mess. Make the tree out of fondant or gumpaste and then paint it with a mix of luster dust and clear alcohol. That should work if you let the fondant set up for a few hours...otherwise the paint brush will leave marks in the soft fondant (it will also be harder to set up on the cake but if you set it on the cake and then paint you should be ok.) HTH! Cat

sorry i confused you, but i didnt have any vodka i did have some clear exracts though, I will try it again tonight, No i actually dip the brush into the rum and put on to the gumpaste (it wasnt set up) and then i dip it into the dust but nothing happened(: i thought it was from the rum , Thanks for the info

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 10

Ah...ok...yup, you need to make a paint out of the combo of the extract and the dust then paint with that. I see the confusion now.

cakebaker1957 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Ah...ok...yup, you need to make a paint out of the combo of the extract and the dust then paint with that. I see the confusion now.

Thank You , will give that a try(:

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 10

I use a very small cup... add vodka... wet the brush in the vodka... and dip in the gold.... in order to get the look u must be heavy on the gold and light on the vodka...

hth

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 10

yes- rum is not the same as a clear high volume alcohol...go to a liquor store and ask for Everclear or something like it. if you paint with luster you WILL need to use it. It dries quickly and makes it stick. I've heard of people using lemon too but have never tried it.

cakebaker1957 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:55am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvscakes

yes- rum is not the same as a clear high volume alcohol...go to a liquor store and ask for Everclear or something like it. if you paint with luster you WILL need to use it. It dries quickly and makes it stick. I've heard of people using lemon too but have never tried it.

Thank You,

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:01am
post #10 of 10

I use vodka. Rum has the same alcohol content and will behave the same. It smells nicer too while you're using it. I don't use Everclear because it costs about three times as much as vodka and it dries out faster than I can paint. icon_biggrin.gif

I bet the problem was the Wilton dust. If you're expecting it to look like gold metal, you're not going to get that look with Wilton's dust. You should order some better dust or some gold airbrush color (you can put them on with a paintbrush) and give that a try. Personally, I would probably go with the better gold dust, and then pipe the branches on with a crusting buttercream, let it crust and then dry-brush the gold dust on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%