How Do You Make A Laptop Cake And How Much Would You Charge

Decorating By YummyChoo Updated 18 May 2010 , 11:06pm by iamcakin

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 6

Any help on how to make a laptop cake and around about how much would you charge for it?
Thanks!

5 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 6

I think if I were doing it I would make the keyboard part of the cake from a sheet cake and carve it accordingly, cover it in fondant and add the keyboard and details. For the screen part of the cake I would either use rice cereal treats covered in fondant if it wasn`t too large a cake. ( The rice cereal treats set on their edge would tend to buckle if the piece were very large.) or I would use a piece of foamcore board covered with fondant and decorated just as you would anything else. Either way you go you would need time for the "lid" to dry so the fondant wouldn`t sag. You could airbrush the screen or get a sugar sheet print decal...... pipe writing on it, paint it with a regular brush.....
As to charging for the cake - well I would charge for the sheet cake part including the details and then add your time and materials in for the lid since nobody would be eating it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 6

Depends on how many servings. If it were to be "life sized", that is the same as my personal lap-top, including actual thickness (approx 1/2"x9"x13") it would only serve about 7, because it is so thin. So I'm going to assume that the cake you are making is going to be thicker than a laptop really is and be at least 2" high, which would mean a 2"x9"x13" cake, which serves 29. I'd probably charge $150, which is just over $5/serving.

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 6

I made the keyboard part of my laptop cake out of cake. The screen part I made out of white chocolate and used an edible image for the actual graphics on the screen. I will say that the white chocolate is heavy. I made sure that it had 4 dowels coming out of the bottom of it (at least 3 inches sticking out) and the board the cake is sitting on is quite a few layers of foam core. I glued the dowels into the foam core, and it held surprisingly well.

The cake itself is probably only 12 servings.
LL

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6

I think, however, if I were to make another one, I would make the screen/lid out of homemade RKT (they dry harder) mixed with melted chocolate. It would be lighter, but still have a pretty solid structure.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 6

This is a laptop cake I made for my web-designer's birthday. Be sure to give yourself enough time for the back piece to dry. The "screen" is an edible image. I was a fun cake, and not very difficult.
Good luck. icon_smile.gif

hmmm, don't know why the pic isn't showing up...if you'd like a pic pm me your email, and I'll send it
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%