Thick Layers?!

Baking By katieavery Updated 19 May 2010 , 1:40pm by tastyart

katieavery Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 7

I need help!
I love decorating cakes, and am pretty good at it, but I seem to suck at baking them!

I normally do pound cake (butter cake from wilton site) and I find this is a pretty good recipe and holds up really well. I just find when it bakes, it is about 2 inches high, but then comes down to 1 inch. What am I doing wrong?

When doing a wedding cake, I would rather have 2 layers than 3... but I can never seem to get thick layers?!?!

Any advice would be great!!
Thanks! Katie.

6 replies
tastyart Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 7

The recipes I use, most came from here on CC. . HTH

cakebaker1957 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 7
Originally Posted by tastyart

The recipes I use, most came from here on CC. HTH

tastyart, what kind of flour did you use? All purpose or what?

tastyart Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 7

all purpose, every time.

MommaDukes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

I read (I think on here) to take your flower nail spray it with bakers choice and put it in the middle of your pan after you put the batter in.
I have starting doing that and my layers don't go flat and they cook in the center quicker too.

ALSO, my cousin that bakes all the time she has a catering biz said to beat your batter for a good 5 minutes as she said beat the daylights out it,

katieavery Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 7

REally? She says to beat it for that long? I'm always so afraid to over beat it, and thought that is what I did wrong last time and why it came out too moist...

Why does the baking part have to be such a science? icon_razz.gif

tastyart Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not convinced that it is a science. I "eyeball" many of my measurements. I think I'm a little bit lazy. But I don't have any problems with my cakes because of it. I know I'm done mixing because of the way the batter looks. I don't run a timer. If I had to be that precise, I wouldn't enjoy baking the way I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%