Angel Food Cake Rounds

Baking By IQDollphin Updated 20 May 2010 , 11:09am by cakebaker1957

IQDollphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IQDollphin Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a bridal shower cake and they want angel food however they want round cakes not bundt cakes. How well does the angel food cake in a regular round pan? Do I need a heating core? Isnt that the same concept?
Thanks for your help

9 replies
Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 10

I have made a Chilean Sponge cake in a spring form pan to give the round cake appearance. It works well but I do add a bit of a collar around the top of the pan to assist the cake with getting tall enough (it will shrink lots so you will need to take that into consideration). I think spring form is the only way to go; otherwise you may have great difficulty getting the cake out of a regular pan. I have made a 12" cake with three layers by baking in this method (Chilean Sponge cake has both white and yolk, but works on the same basis as the Angel food cake does, just a bit less sweet).

HTH!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 10

[quote="Singerssoul"]I have made a Chilean Sponge cake in a spring form pan to give the round cake appearance. It works well but I do add a bit of a collar around the top of the pan to assist the cake with getting tall enough (it will shrink lots so you will need to take that into consideration). I think spring form is the only way to go; otherwise you may have great difficulty getting the cake out of a regular pan. I have made a 12" cake with three layers by baking in this method (Chilean Sponge cake has both white and yolk, but works on the same basis as the Angel food cake does, just a bit less sweet).

HTH![/quote

Do you know if you can add flavorings to boxed sponge cake?? I have to make the grooms cakes he doenst care if it has a hole or not , so i thought i would put strawberries down in the hole , and make some like tux and lay around the cakes, Thanks sorry for jumping in,

Singerssoul Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 10

I make my sponge cakes from scratch since I prefer the Chilean version, and there is no mix. Unlike doctoring a regular cake mix, I would think the only flavorings you could use would be like citrus zests or maybe liquers..or extracts that did not contain oil. And like doctoring regular mix, you would be replacing a similar liquid ingedient in some small part. In my recipe, I would replace a bit of the water if I wanted to do that.

The only fat I use is to butter the pan with..nothing actually goes into the cake. hth~

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 10

IQDollphin: Welcome to CC! I've made many angel food cakes, but never in a round pan. I would go with singerssoul's suggestion and use a springform pan and make a collar. I would even consider using a parchment circle in the bottom of the pan so you don't shred the cake trying to get it off! Just thinking using a flower nail would help the center cook and make up for not having a hole! Just my guess - but makes sense to my brain!

Singerssoul: Welcome to you, too. I would love to see your recipe for the Chilean version. I have a dear friend who's family is from Chile and I would love to make it for her birthday.

IQDollphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IQDollphin Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone your suggestions are very helpful! Baking this tomorrow morning so I will be sure to let you all know how it goes! Will definitly try the collar and the rose nail ideas!
Also thanks for the welcome TNT Fundraiser! icon_biggrin.gif

Singerssoul Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 10

I am not new..just all the information erased..sigh. Thank you though!! Here is what I use. I have a dear friend and co-worker that I make this cake for every year and she says her family adores it. My significant other doenst care much for cakes but he loves this as it is not overly sweet. I usually make it with fresh strawberrys in a filling with frosting pride (non dairy) as the cake itself is not overly sweet, so it works well together. If the cake is not required to sit anywhere, I will use fresh whipped cream. But the posibilities for this are really varied.

14 eggs (separate yolks from whites)
14 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
14 tablespoons sugar

Mix whites on high in large bowl for about 7-10 minutes. You want them fluffy and light. Add sugar, mix in well. Add 1 or 2 egg yolks at a time, using a whisk not a mixer and folding the yolk in (color will all be a light yellow when you are finished). In a separate bowl, mix flower and baking powder with whisk or fork. Pour small amounts into a fine strainer over the large bowl with the folded eggs and sugar. After each session of small pours, fold flour with baking soda into the large bowl with whisk. (whisk should look like a chicken drumstick each time you come up from the fold). Butter your pan. Cook on 300 degrees for about 40 minutes until cake is golden and springs lightly back at the touch.

This usualy bakes a single 10" layer springform pan for me.

cakebaker1957 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:22am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerssoul

I am not new..just all the information erased..sigh. Thank you though!! Here is what I use. I have a dear friend and co-worker that I make this cake for every year and she says her family adores it. My significant other doenst care much for cakes but he loves this as it is not overly sweet. I usually make it with fresh strawberrys in a filling with frosting pride (non dairy) as the cake itself is not overly sweet, so it works well together. If the cake is not required to sit anywhere, I will use fresh whipped cream. But the posibilities for this are really varied.

14 eggs (separate yolks from whites)
14 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
14 tablespoons sugar

Mix whites on high in large bowl for about 7-10 minutes. You want them fluffy and light. Add sugar, mix in well. Add 1 or 2 egg yolks at a time, using a whisk not a mixer and folding the yolk in (color will all be a light yellow when you are finished). In a separate bowl, mix flower and baking powder with whisk or fork. Pour small amounts into a fine strainer over the large bowl with the folded eggs and sugar. After each session of small pours, fold flour with baking soda into the large bowl with whisk. (whisk should look like a chicken drumstick each time you come up from the fold). Butter your pan. Cook on 300 degrees for about 40 minutes until cake is golden and springs lightly back at the touch.

This usualy bakes a single 10" layer springform pan for me.

What type of flour? All purpose or what? Thanks sounds Yummy

Singerssoul Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 10

I use cake flour, which I find was cheapest to purchase at my local decorator shop then from the market.

cakebaker1957 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:09am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerssoul

I use cake flour, which I find was cheapest to purchase at my local decorator shop then from the market.

thanks i have some Swan cake flour, will that do??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%