Wasc - Not So Good?

Baking By ctinaw Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:36pm by ctinaw

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 8

I had to try the WASC recipe because of all of the reviews. I have to be honest - I wasn't blown away. In fact, if anything - the cake came across as sticky - too dense - too moist. I guess that may sound odd to some people - but I prefer a cake to be - more spongy and soft - not sticky and wet. The texture was just all wrong. I've tried variations of the WASC three times now - all with the same sticky, wet result. I guess some people like this? Sorry WASC lovers icon_sad.gif

Does anyone have a recipe for a more spongy, delicate texture of cake or know what I'd do to achieve that?

Thanks!

7 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have a particular recipe for you, but wanted to let you know that WASC was created to make a dense cake.

If that isn't what you like, it's not the right recipe for you (and you probably made it right...LOL)

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 8

Sounds like to me you might be more inclined to like either a Genoise Italian Sponge cake or possibly a Madeira English Sponge cake. But are still kinda dense but not as moist or as sweet. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can supply you with the recipes!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 8

I use the "origional" WASC receipe by kakeladi and I like it. Hated the other WASC that I tried. kakeladi's isn't at all sticky. It's the one that has no oil in it. It's also one of best sellers.

ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

Sounds like to me you might be more inclined to like either a Genoise Italian Sponge cake or possibly a Madeira English Sponge cake. But are still kinda dense but not as moist or as sweet. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can supply you with the recipes!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look these varieties up! thumbs_up.gif

I do like my cake to be SLIGHTLY dense - but this was - serious! lol

Yes, I'm sure I did make it correctly - there was nothing essentially wrong with it - I just didn't care for the texture myself. I might just play around a bit and try some things on my own.

I'd like to find my holy grail cake recipe you know? That go-to. Was hoping WASC was gonna be the one with all of the raves but it wasn't for me. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

I've tried variations of the WASC three times now - all with the same sticky, wet result.

There are so many WASC variations floating around on CC that it's hard to keep track of them all....

I really enjoy Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's orignal, some of the others are too sweet and/or too gooey fudge brownie like.

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #7 of 8

I was feeling the same thing and tonight I made it by beating the egg whites separately to soft peaks and then mixing them in at the very end. It made a big difference in the texture. Much less dense and more light.

ctinaw Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

I've tried variations of the WASC three times now - all with the same sticky, wet result.

There are so many WASC variations floating around on CC that it's hard to keep track of them all....

I really enjoy Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's orignal, some of the others are too sweet and/or too gooey fudge brownie like.

Yes - I couldn't put my finger on it but that's exactly it - it was almost gooey fudge brownie like!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%