Need Suggestions On Graduation Cap.

Decorating By Kimboni Updated 18 May 2010 , 8:59pm by jickers01

Kimboni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimboni Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making my first graduation cake this week. It's for an open house graduation party. I think I'm going to make a 3 layer 10' square. I want to put a grad. cap on the top. Should I make it with gum paste, chocolate...? And how do I get the shape? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 8

I have done one in the past using a piece of card board, cut to 12" square and then covered it in fondant. hth

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 8

Check out my pictures. I took a styrofoam ball, cut in half; covered with buttercream then fondant. I then took a peice of foam board, but into a square; covered with a small amount of icing then fondant. I put that on top of the half peice of styrofoam ball Then I pushed some fondant through a Play-Doh extruder to make the tassel.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 8

the one i made, i used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant and cut out a square,let it dry for a few days.the base i made of rkt's and covered in fondant. then "glued" the top to the base with melted chocolate.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 8

i bake a small cake in a cereal bowl, i have one that is perfect for this with a flat bottom area. the mortor board i make ahead out of black GP. I cover the cake with black fondant then attach the mortor with melted chocolate. and make the tassel using a clay gun and fondant.

Kimboni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimboni Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

Great tips guys!!! Danielle I looked at your photos (very nice BTW) What size are your grad cakes and what size styrofoam ball? Can you get those balls at Michael's?

jickers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jickers01 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 8

I have made a few of these. I used a 6 in round cake for the bottom of the cake and then used carboard covered in fondant. It works quite well. For the tassel I used a garlic press. I'm not sure how to post pictures since I'm new on here, but I have a picture posted on my profile of the latest.

jickers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jickers01 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 8

**for the bottome of the cap and a square piece of carboard covered in fondant for the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%