How To Make Bb As Smooth As This.........

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 19 May 2010 , 2:36am by Justbeck101

mom2my3girlz Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1444540.html

I avoiding working with buttercream at all costs. Is there a way to smooth it out so that it looks as smooth as fondont? what do youthink they did in this pic?

10 replies
GeminiCake Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 11

It looks like they may have possibly used Sugarshacks buttercream. All of her cakes using her buttercream looksas if it they were covered in fondant. It's really amazing!!!

Bannette Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 11

There is another thread about this. "Problems with Smoothing Buttercream" There are some good tips on it. I tried to copy the link below. But if that doesn't work just search for it and it should come up.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6819862-.html#6819862

yums Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 11

Use the paper towel smoothing method with crusting buttercream

dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 11

Look at Edna's YouTube video on icing a cake with BC.... the "trick" is to put a lot... a whole lotta of icing.... then you start scraping it off the excess with your scraper.... then smooth with viva towels.... it takes practice.... but once you do it enough times... it will be perfect.... I too use to wonder if I would ever be able to get BC as smooth as fondant... and although at the beginning I wasn't able to.... the more I did it.... the better it got.... my best advice.... don't avoid it... challenge yourself and do it often... that's the only way you will overcome your challenges in this area...

good luck to you icon_smile.gif

creative_one_19 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 11

When I want a smooth BC cake I use a crusting type frosting and wait and them use a hot knife with parchment. I lay the parchment over the crusted cake then put a hot knife to smooth....it is mostly about timing. The smoothing must take place not too late but not too early either. Good Luck.

vanki Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:55am
post #7 of 11

Sorry to intrude on this post. But will sugarshacks buttercream crust over? Or do i need to look for a seperate recipe for crusting buttercream?

mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 11

the person who uploaded that photo says she uses sugarshack's BC recipe & video...

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #9 of 11

Any good crusting buttercream will give you a smooth finish if you take your time. I smooth as much as I can with my offset spatula dipped in hot water (then wiped off). After I get it smoothed that way I let it crust, then use the Viva paper towel to finish smoothing and it's shocking how nice and smooth you can get it if you have a good crusting recipe.

mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #10 of 11

yes, my method is similar, I use a hot spatula (I actually wave it over an open flame on my stove) which gets out most flaws, then viva towel method for the final finish

Justbeck101 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #11 of 11

I think they practiced and read a lot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%