Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake, Need Help....

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:33am by mbark

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 24

My sister in law hired me to make my mother in law a birthday cake this weekend. My MIL absolutly loves chocolate and peanut butter. Im trying to figure out what the best ingrediant/cake combination would be to give the cake the best reeses flavor I can.

Im going to ice the cake in poured ganache, since apparently my sis says she doesnt like fondant, so it goes with the flavor anyway. It works.

I was wondering what would be better tasting....chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream, or peanut butter cake filled with ganache. Or maybe I could alternate ganache filling and peanut butter filling in the chocolate cake? Or would the ganache on the outside be enough to bring in that smooth chocolate flavor?

My gut tells me to do the chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream, but I havent made this flavor combination yet so I have no clue how it would taste together. I wonder if there is a better peanut butter filling besides the buttercream. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this cake the best tasting reeses cake ever?

23 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 24

I've tried peanut butter cake with chocolate buttercream and the peanut butter is definitely overpowered by the chocolate. I would definitely go with chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream. You know what makes it even more heavenly is adding chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups to the peanut butter buttercream. It gives it that extra oomph. Whenever I've make this, everyone goes wild!

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 24

I've done a chocolate cake with pb buttercream and iced in ganache....it was my absolute fave combo ever!!!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 24

My vote would be for chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream. icon_smile.gif

lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I would definitely go with chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream. You know what makes it even more heavenly is adding chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups to the peanut butter buttercream. It gives it that extra oomph. Whenever I've make this, everyone goes wild!

thumbs_up.gif I agree with Tootie!!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 24

do you just add regular peanut butter from the jar into your frosting?

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 24

For my son's last birthday "He's a Keeper" cake in my photos, I made the dark chocolate fudge with a peanut butter filling iced with cream cheese icing. Loved by the peanut butter and chocolate fans. Next time, I think I'll add peanut butter chips to the cake mix.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 24

I definitely second the chocolate cake with pb buttercream AND chunks of reese's pb cups. I made that combo for my Dad's 60th birthday party and even people who normally don't eat pb were scarfing it down!!!!

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

do you just add regular peanut butter from the jar into your frosting?

That's the way I do it. I just add it to taste. There are recipes on here for peanut butter buttercream Im sure. I think the wilton website has a recipe too, if Im not mistaken. Just added the peanut butter to the buttercream works really good though, so I never tried a different recipe. icon_smile.gif The bakery I worked at years ago did it that way, so I just kept with it because it's good.

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 24

If Im adding the chunks of reeses, I mean...are these CHUNCKS, like big? Or what if I put it in the buttercream while it's mixing to make it smaller, more like crumbles? I guess Im just not sure about chunky icing. My MIL is a little weird when it comes to textures as well. Would it still be good if its really small and crumbled up instead of chunks?

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 24

Ok just had a thought here....anyone ever make peanut butter BETTERCREME? I wonder if that would be any good. It would be lighter and fluffier....I almost wonder if my MIL would like that better. I'd have to make the filling so thin though, otherwise it will probably slide everywhere during the 45 minute trip to her house. Hmm. I think the bettercreme filling would probably be really good with the reeses cups mixed in. It wouldnt be overly rich...which is probably something she would like better. I have some bettercreme in the freezer....I may just go up to the store, buy some reeses cups, and try it out to see if it's any good.

Im craving something sweet and chewy anyways. Maybe Ill pick up a treat for me while Im out. Being preggers is weird. I used to love chocolate and peanut butter, but the thought of it now makes me want to gag. Now for some reason Mike and Ikes sound awesome, but I hated those before. lol. Maybe starbursts. Ohhh serious cravings! Ill be back in a bit. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 24

I just made the peanut butter bettercream with chopped up reeses cups(the small size) for my son's b/d. The recipe is on this site. It is delicious!! It also had box of cheesecake jello puding mix in it, and cream cheese. It also would be good without using the c/c and pudding mix.

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 24

Could this be the recipe you are talking about? It's the closest I could find, but it doesnt use bettercreme or pudding. Do you remember the name of the recipe so I could look it up that way? I just cant seem to find it no matter how I search for it.

Peanut Butter Mousse

Mar

Posted by Melody25 in Fillings

Add to favorites Print Share this Recipe:

UN:F [1.6.8_931]

please wait...
Rating: 9.4/10 (24 votes cast)
I found this recipe and its now a favorite filling on my chocolate cakes. Its very very rich and very smooth

Peanut Butter Mousse
Ingredients
1 18-ounce jar creamy peanut butter (2 cups)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups chilled whipping cream
Instructions
Bring cream cheese to room temp.

Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese in large bowl to blend. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat 2 cups whipping cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into peanut butter mixture in 4 additions.

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 24

Oh, maybe this is closer?

please wait...
Rating: 5.5/10 (4 votes cast)
I made this for my DH and he fell in love. It tastes just like Peanut Butter Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory Restraunt

Pastry Pride Mousse
Ingredients
2-3 Cups liquid Pastry Pride
1 package cheesecake pudding mix
4 heaping T of smooth Peanut Butter
Instructions
Mix all ingrediants in mixer using whip attachment 5-10 minutes until all combined and meduim to stiff peaks form.

icer101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 24

yes, the second one. I used bettercream . i then chopped up the reeses p-nut butter cups. i have the other one too. that uses cream cheese. BUT. i used the second one you posted. i found several on this site. and then on other sites. hope i didn,t confuse you. whipping the bettercream made it light.also the first one would be great also. i started beating the bettercreme , with wire whisk, then added the cheesecake pudding, then the p-nut butter, and whipped until the right consistency.then the chopped reeses cups.

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 24

Thank you! Im probably going to do a test run and make a small batch this evening. I have to wait for the Sour Patch candies in my belly to settle down before I can even think of tasting peanut butter. yuck. icon_smile.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 24

I think chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting (of whichever type) and chocolate ganache sound delicious. Have you considered adding chopped peanut butter cups to the cake batter? I haven't done it with PB cups, but I have with regular chocolate or Andes mints and it works really well.

I'm pregnant, too, and have had the same issue...I usually love baked goods, especially chocolate, but for the first few months I only wanted popsicles (which I don't usually care much for) or fruit-flavored chewy candy. But it will pass! Now I'm at 34 weeks and I can eat pretty much anything (and I do!).

icer101 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 24

You can also use stabalized whip cream for these recipes also. i have that one too.

JCE62108 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

I think chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting (of whichever type) and chocolate ganache sound delicious. Have you considered adding chopped peanut butter cups to the cake batter? I haven't done it with PB cups, but I have with regular chocolate or Andes mints and it works really well.

I'm pregnant, too, and have had the same issue...I usually love baked goods, especially chocolate, but for the first few months I only wanted popsicles (which I don't usually care much for) or fruit-flavored chewy candy. But it will pass! Now I'm at 34 weeks and I can eat pretty much anything (and I do!).

Awwww belly belly! I can't wait for my big ole' belly again. You're gonna pop soon! Congrats! For my first pregnancy, it was caramel. Especially caramel milkshakes. My absolute favorite. I didnt really crave much else. Just ice cream and caramel. icon_smile.gif Im only 8 weeks and looking forward to the 2nd trimester already. Nausea...blah. By the time I was at 30-35 weeks, all I wanted to do was sleep and eat....sometimes at the same time. Id be caught by my hubby asleep, with a half eaten sandwhich next to me in bed. It's a miracle I only gained 22 lbs.

OH!!! Anyways, I just tried the bettercreme mixed with peanut butter with some reese's cups thrown in! It's really good. I'm going to use to use that for her cake. I was surprised that I didnt have to use that much peanut butter to get a really nice flavor. Actually, I think I put too much in during my test run and Im going to cut back when I make it for this weekend. Thank you for your help guys!! It's much appreciated.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:47pm
post #20 of 24

My brother in law makes a FANTASTIC cake with choclate cake, peanut butter bc and chocolate ganache. It's beautiful and tastes wonderful! That's the route I would go.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 24

I call chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream with chocolate ganache, my "Buckeye" cake (after the candy.) It is a favorite.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #22 of 24

My favorite combo is chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie center ( a cookie baked in the same size pan as the cake) and iced in whipped chocolate ganache or any good chocolate icing. The cookie softens for a delicious and dense peanut butter filling and people can't figure out how I did it icon_lol.gif It goes like this: cake, thin smear of chocolate icing, peanut butter cookie, thin smear of icing, cake. Delish!

JCE62108 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

My favorite combo is chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie center ( a cookie baked in the same size pan as the cake) and iced in whipped chocolate ganache or any good chocolate icing. The cookie softens for a delicious and dense peanut butter filling and people can't figure out how I did it icon_lol.gif It goes like this: cake, thin smear of chocolate icing, peanut butter cookie, thin smear of icing, cake. Delish!

Oh wow! I bet that is really good! I just made my cake tonight. I need to work on it tomorrow so I got a head start and baked it, filled and frosted, and now it's in the freezer. I'll pour the ganache tomorrow. I decided to do peanut butter BETTERCREME. My MIL will like that better, Im sure. Buttercream is probably too thick and rich for her, and this is going to be a rich cake anyway. At least with the bettercreme it's a bit fluffier and not so dense of a filling. I added the crushed peanut butter cups. icon_smile.gif

To bad Im not going to get to try this cake. Im going to miss dinner with her that night because Im leaving town. Too bad. icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #24 of 24

SERIOUSLY! you must try this recipe, choc cake/peanut butter is one of my most popular & it's just heaven on your tastebuds.
Cream 1/2 c. each softened butter & peanut butter, add 1 c. powdered sugar, then 1/4 tsp. vanilla. Can easily be doubled/tripled to fit your needs.
Try it, you will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%