Woohooo! Score!

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 18 May 2010 , 6:38pm by Kiddiekakes

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 21

Super excited in a way my non-caker friends don't understand, lol. I've been buying fondant from Bulk Barn (I'm in Canada) for 15.99/4 lbs (Virgin Ice brand). This is the only brand and only size they have, and I am not a fan of the taste. I am in a small city, with no Michael's or any other craft or cake store, and our Walmart does not have anything cake related beyond a few tubes of Wilton icing icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I just found a small cash and carry that supplies restaurants that has Dawn (Decorice) fondant....and here's the exciting part.......it's CHEAPER!! $29.00/5 kgs (11lbs)!!!!!!! Buying that much VirginIce would be, like $44. YAY! That's a lot of savings.

The Dawn fondant smells like cotton candy, and has a distinct flavour, not unpleasant or chemically....anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'll be using it tonight, super curious as to how it rolls out. Crossing my fingers that I just scored big time!

20 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 21

I use Dawn Deccorice all the time and your right!! It smells like cotton candy.It is very nice to work with but soft.You will need to have icing sugar on hand to really powder the counter continuesly but it rolls nice also.This is all I use ...I get mine right from Dawn foods here in the city...as a matter of fact I have 5.. 10lb pails downstairs as we speak.I pay $22.00 a pail! Great deal..It is wholesale though as I buy as a business.

You'll love it!!!

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks kiddiekakes, nice to have an endorsement icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 21

If it kind of smells like cotton candy, does it sort of taste like it too? That sounds super delish! I can't wait to try the new Satin Ice buttercream flavored fondant.

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 21

Yes Melvira...It tastes divine also....When I make a cake with it and add fondant embellishments...There are never pieces left on the board afterward!!

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 21

Kiddiekakes, do you buy anything else from Dawn Foods? The guy I dealt with yesterday told me he can order any of their products, so I'd love to know if there are other products you use regularly.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 21

Cakecraft/Kiddiecakes where do you buy this in Canada. Do you have to have a business licence? I live in Toronto and would appreciate any new sources.

Adamsgama

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 21

Adamsgama, if you contact Dawn Foods through their website they will be able to help I am sure. Dawn foods dot com....their head Canadian office is in Etobicoke, and they have #s listed

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 21

I also use and like Decorice. It is quite soft, but nice to work with, and the smell is wonderful. I love opening a cake box to show a customer their cake and have them go "Mmmmmm" at the smell! Taste is fine, although I'm not really a fondant-lover.

I also buy big bags of flour etc from Dawn and they are fine to deal with.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 21

Too funny, I live in Etobicoke. I will give them a try. Do you need a business Licence?

Adamsgama

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 21

I didn't need a business license to buy from my local supplier (I'm in Newfoundland) . Not sure if you need one if you purchase straight from them.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 21

How are you finding the difference between this and the VirginIce BB sells? I had been buying the VI from Bulk Barn, then started my Wilton courses, and I cannot stand how "soft" the virgin ice stuff is now.

Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 21

VELVETOP!! That is the Bettercreme version made by Dawn Foods. I've had people tell me it is just as good. I am seriously considering ordering some to try it out. If I can get it wholesale, and DELIVERED to me, are you joking? I'm all over that! I pay through the nose right now for Bettercreme because I'm not getting it wholesale. I have had trouble trying to get a Rich's distributor to acknowledge me. icon_cry.gif

Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 21

-Tubbs, just saw your avatar and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I get frustrated with people too. I completely excuse ESL, OF COURSE!

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 21

Ooooooh, I can't even buy Bettercreme retail. I've been wanting to try that.

cakecraft Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 21

Polarcakes, I like working with the VI. I have only tried SatinIce and Chocopan beside the VI, so that's all I have to compare it with. And I have made MMF but I didn't like the consistency as much. I don't use any ps, cornstach or crisco to roll my fondant out on, just naked on my sheet of vinyl.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 21

Another fantastic source for us Canuks up here is Cake Mischief. You'll find them online, have a whole range of products (including Satin Ice) and if they don't carry what you want, they'll get it for you. Alicia and Daniel are great people to deal with and will bend over backwards to get what you need. Also, NO GST!!

Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraft

Ooooooh, I can't even buy Bettercreme retail. I've been wanting to try that.

Oh man, you HAVE to try it. It is SOOOO good!! Ok, I'm sorry, that's not helping you. icon_sad.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 21

Cakecraft.....I buy my 80 lb bags if confectioners sugar...fondant,some fillings..Sprinkles.They have a good selection.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #20 of 21

Hi Kiddiekakes! Went to their Website, but can't find anything near Edmonton? Are they only in Calgary? Also, tried to find where they sell sugar, etc, but can only find cake fillings and mixes. Am I looking at the wrong area? Thanks...

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 21

You actually need to contact a rep from the company and he will send out a product and price packet as not every item is listed on the website.Prices aren't listed because they fluctuate in price mostly up.....I'm sure Dawn has a distributer in Edmonton.Call or email the Calgary office and ask.My Mom and I are both decoraters and we split the order as you have to have $350.00 minimum but with us both that is easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%