Baking Temp And Time For Larger Cakes

Baking By CarolinaBeachGirl Updated 19 May 2010 , 11:44am by leily

CarolinaBeachGirl Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know at what temp and how long you bake the cakes in 2" deep pans. I have baked them at 350 and it seems like it takes forever. I have the 8" 9" 10" and 12" round and the 9" square pans all 2" deep. Any help would be appreciated. I may have 2 wedding cakes coming up and need help. I am going to do a 3 tier round cake with daisies, need it to feed 100 guests, what sizes should I use?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 7

I bake everything at 325 on convection.It takes about 10-15 minutes longer but the cakes don't seem to burn ontop.

cricket0616 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, I bake at 325.

leily Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

I use this chart from wilton as my starting points for time of baking.

This also has serving amounts for 4" tall cakes, so that should help you determine what size cakes you'll want to make for the wedding cake

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I agree, I bake at 325.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif I bake all cakes 4" and up at 325.

Mexx Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 7

Hi -

Wedding cake charts that tell you the number of servings based on the pan size are also based on a sample piece of about 1" x 2" (about the size of your thumb). If your cake is the sole dessert at the reception, you'll have to adjust your quantity to account for this.

leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:44am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexx

Hi -

Wedding cake charts that tell you the number of servings based on the pan size are also based on a sample piece of about 1" x 2" (about the size of your thumb). If your cake is the sole dessert at the reception, you'll have to adjust your quantity to account for this.

But if a caterer or someone who cuts wedding cakes is cutting it (so not a random person in otherwords) they are going to cut it into the industry standard of 1"x2"x4" slices. So you're going to end up with quite a bit left over.

And really a 1"x2"x4" slice of cake is a good size piece, expecially after a meal. I think the best example i've heard is from indydebi, it's about the size of a peanut butter sandwhich folded in half. It sounds small, but it's a good size for dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%