Fire Helmet....can I???

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 18 May 2010 , 1:05pm by mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:11am
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake with a firefighter helmet sitting on top of a roll of hose. They only need cake for 40 so I was thinking.....

Can I just make a helmet out of fondant/gumpaste molded over a helmet and left to dry? Will it be too flimsy to hold up and crack? It would be lifesize, molded over my husband's helmet.

I am trying to save some bake time since they don't need that much cake. It is a duel party and I am doing a baseball theme cake also...TONS OF CAKE for 40 people.

3 replies
ceshell Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:01am
post #2 of 4

In theory you can do this, but in my experience (never w/something this big) it can be a challenge to get it to dry properly, since the real helmet is nonporous i.e. air won't circulate thru it. Also you will need to line it w/something to prevent it from sticking, as just cornstarch/ps/shortening may not do the trick. I'd try to wrap it tightly in saran first and allow a LONG time to a week! I had to allow that long when I made a "gift box lid" which I had dry on a cake pan. Took forever.

Personally if you make it thick enough I don't think it would be too flimsy, but I'd tend towards straight gumpaste for ultimate stability.

Better yet, how are you at you think you can do the helmet from RKT?? I know that might not save you any time...but could save some headache!

Kath2211 Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:55am
post #3 of 4

I agree, very difficult to get it off and not crack or break. I would either make it in cake or polystyrene. Cover the foam with piping gel or runny royal icing for a good stick.

mom2twogrlz Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking. I think I will just bake the cake since she agreed to pay for the extra cake even though it isn't needed. I don't have a week to let it dry, it is due Saturday. (last minute order by a friend).

As always CC is the best!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%