Leopard Print Questions

Decorating By LadyinaRedApron Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:39am by LadyinaRedApron

LadyinaRedApron Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #1 of 6

I will be making a fondant leopard print bow to put on top of a cake. I know how to make the bow and I was planning on hand painting the leopard print on the bow. When should I do this? Before or after constructing the bow? Are they any tips or tricks on the leopard print itself? Tutorials maybe? I'm planning on using the gel color with vodka seeing as it has worked for me in the past. Am I going to have to do multiple coats of the black to get it dark enough?

Sorry for all the questions!

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #2 of 6

Cut out a leopard print template and spray the black on(Wlton sprays) the fondant before you cut the bow out. The spray will dry before the fondant does so you can make the bow as soon as it's dry.

LadyinaRedApron Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 6

Do you know where I could find a template like that?

Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 6

I know Global Sugar Art carries animal print stencils if you have time to order them, they do ship super fast though. If you decide to free hand it or cut your own stencil, I'd use the black gel color with out the vodka, well just dip the brush into the vodka then into the black coloring and use as a paint. It will be fairly thick but you can paint with it and you don't have to keep putting several coats on. I don't know how well the Wilton spray works but if it does that would probably be the easiest/fasted way, it really isn't that hard to free hand it though.

Ballymena Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

Find a print online and print it . Cut it out of a heavy paper using an exacto knife(very sharp) to the size of the fondant you need for the bow. Spray works well and is fast. Dry with a fan but watch it so the fondant doesn't dry too much. It will crack when you make the bow if it's too dry.

LadyinaRedApron Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:39am
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I think I might try both of your suggestions, and then just hand paint the darker brown in the center of the spots.

I remember seeing an animal print stencil pack at Joann's so maybe I'll look into that tomorrow before making my own stencil...

Quote by @%username% on %date%