Frosting Convert!

Decorating By KayMc Updated 19 May 2010 , 12:47am by sugarshack

KayMc Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 16

I have been extremely doubtful about the shortening-based buttercream recipes. I'm a newbie here on decorating, but not on baking. All of the hundreds and hundreds of cakes I've baked have always had frosting with just butter in it. The one cake I made since starting on my decorating quest was made w/ Edna's cream cheese buttercream recipe, and I thought it was pretty good.

Tonight I made Sugarshack's buttercream recipe, which is made w/ all hi ratio shortening, of course. I was very wary, but had decided I wanted to try it. I was pleasantly surprised! I did as mamarobin suggested, and I beat just the shortening for 15 minutes before adding any ingredients. It was as smooth as satin (the finished product), and the flavor was much better than I'd expected. I do wish I'd remembered to add salt to the warm liquids, but I'll do that on the next batch. This looks like it will work really well for decorating, and it has NO greasy taste or feel at all. Nice job, Sugarshack! It's a great recipe!

15 replies
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 16

thumbs_up.gif

mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 16

totally agreed! I absolutely love it as well.

Lacey7671 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 16

can you send me to the recipe I have seen recipes for frosting but have failed to find it with detailed instructions. I am still feeling my way around this website. Thanks ahead of time

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:02am
post #5 of 16

You can find Sugarshack's Buttercream and Indydebi's Buttercream receipes in the "most saved" receipes here on cc. I use Indydebi's and it's awesome as well. Like KayMc said I beat my shortening 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients and warm my milk before adding. It isn't necessary it's just something that I do.
I always sift my powdered sugar as well.

sugarshack Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:38am
post #6 of 16

Glad you like it!!!

Loucinda Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 16

I just posted this in another section, hands down Sugarshack's recipe is picked 98% of the time at my tastings....and I always offer hers, an all butter recipe, and IMBC.....I was shocked at first, but I now know folks just love it - it is my best seller here.

THANK YOU SHARON!! icon_biggrin.gif

MissRobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 16

Is there salt in there recipe, Am I missing something??

cakesrock Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 16

I will have to try Sugarshacks- I have been meaning to. I have been using the whipped buttercream with high ratio and it is awesome! I also like IndyDebis.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 16

I just switched to Sugarshacks this past winter. Now summer is coming very soon, and we are hot and humid in the summer. How does it hold up to heat and humidity if there is an outdoor event?

Loucinda Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 16

TNT - when I first started using it here in Ohio, I made a cake, iced it, and set it outside in 95 degree heat with about 85% humidiity, and it held perfectly. I LOVE it! And NO, I don't add any salt to the recipe I have from sugarshack that I use.

mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I just posted this in another section, hands down Sugarshack's recipe is picked 98% of the time at my tastings....and I always offer hers, an all butter recipe, and IMBC.....I was shocked at first, but I now know folks just love it - it is my best seller here.

THANK YOU SHARON!! icon_biggrin.gif

WOW this really says something!
no I don't use salt either

Loucinda Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 16

I did it because I had to be SURE it would hold. I had several outdoors weddings and I needed a buttercream that could take the heat and humidity. I am guessing since it comes from New Orleans, it HAS to be able to do that! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I don't use any other buttercreams for outdoors weddings. Period.

ctinaw Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 16

Wow 98% of the time is pretty amazing. I haven't tried this icing but now I want to icon_biggrin.gif I wish I knew where I could get hi ratio shortening locally. Shipping is just killer on these heavy shortenings and fondants - and I'm just a newbie so I don't order big quantities. I'm not selling - just making for fun so I eat the expense - literally - and figuratively icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

Wow 98% of the time is pretty amazing. I haven't tried this icing but now I want to icon_biggrin.gif I wish I knew where I could get hi ratio shortening locally. Shipping is just killer on these heavy shortenings and fondants - and I'm just a newbie so I don't order big quantities. I'm not selling - just making for fun so I eat the expense - literally - and figuratively icon_smile.gif

Where are you? I am in Canada and I was able to order 5 lbs within province. I also found a restaurant supply store open to the public that will be carrying it. You just have to look around.

sugarshack Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #16 of 16

100% of my cutsomers choose my recipe. Of course it is the only one I offer! Tee hee hee icon_smile.gif

I have never made Debi's but I have a hunch hers and mine are similar in texture and performance....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%