Need Advice

Decorating By melanies_mama Updated 18 May 2010 , 1:24pm by cakesrock

melanies_mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanies_mama Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 6

my daughters third birthday is sunday and i was going to make her a cake like i do every year, i thought i might want to try covering this years cake in mmf but was wondering since im new to this which would be an easier cake to cover a round layer cake or a layered sheet cake.

also any suggestions for a first time fondant user would be greatly apprectiated...

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:41am
post #2 of 6

this is a hard one to answer because, while I've found squares easier to cover than rounds, a large rectangle might be harder to do than a round. Usually an event is not the best testing ground for doing something new with caking but if you know it's just family who won't judge you if something goes wrong then jump in the deep in and try to make whatever design your heart wants to go with. Sometimes diving in the deep in is the best way to learn. Which ever way you go it's easier to smooth the bottom edges if you elevate the cake board at least an inch off the table. It gives draping room for smoothing and will help you get that smooth bottom edge. HTH. Cat

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:29am
post #3 of 6

I have always heard the rounds are MUCH easier than any type of squares.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:49am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

I have always heard the rounds are MUCH easier than any type of squares.

that is what they say but I too find squares are much easier

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:09am
post #5 of 6

I've found it more difficult to get the corners on a square nice and smooth. You don't have corners on a round which is probably why most find it easier. Either way, working with fondant, just as any other medium, takes practice. Even with practice, none are perfect. Jump in and make the cake you desire. It will be beautiful!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

I would do an oval or a round. The first one you do in the Wilton course is actually oval- it is a clown face. That is a good one to start on. The square is harder to get sharp corners on. And I agree, it takes a lot of practice. Just dive in - you have to start somewhere! Good luck and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%