Can Plastic Chocolate Molds Be Used For Fondant?

Decorating By mbark Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:30am by mbark

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 7

Someone else's post made me think.. can/have you used fondant in those clear, hard, plastic chocolate molds? If so that open up a whole new world of fun toys to hunt down. There is a HUGE selection on ebay & they're super inexpensive! Plus I would love to have the option of a 3d effect like these potentially would give as opposed to fondant cut out with cookie cutters. Would love to hear your thoughts!

6 replies
cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 7

i just did this for a baby shower cake. I just took some soft fondant, rolled it in sugar and put into the mold. Came right out and had a pretty shine from the sugar

mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:34am
post #3 of 7

cool! so glad because I just ordered like 15 of them! can't wait to play!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 7

It works pretty well to spray the mold with pam spray and then wipe it off, put the fondant in, roll it with a rolling pin, then run your finger around the edge of the mold to get the excess off.

I have some molds that are plastic but designed for cake details. You can probably find them if you google baroque candy molds icon_biggrin.gif

These details were made that way:

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 7

I use my chocolate molds all the time. I use a small paint brush to cornstarch the mold and push my fondant in. Works great.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 7

I've used them too. Sometimes it can be a challenge to remove the fondant even with cornstarch or spraying them with pam. I've popped mine in the freezer for 20 min or so and they came out pretty well. After you pop them out of the mold frozen you have to let them sit somewhere and not touch them until they come back to room temp because of condensation, you don't want to smudge your design, but after they have dried they look great! I used them on my beach and under the sea cakes(sea shells and sea life), my Twilight cake (chess pieces) and also my skater cake (skate boards) Bought some off mine off ebay too, super cheap, super cheap shipping and LOTS to chose from!!

mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #7 of 7

ok now I'm REALLY excited! thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%