Fondant Cuppies?

Decorating By okc-cakes Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:33am by okc-cakes

okc-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okc-cakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

my friend is getting married in aug and asked if i could do fondant covered cupcakes. i told her i'd prob do petite fours just because i've never seen cupcakes and not sure how that would work. if anybody has ever done these and would be willing to share pics n tips, that would be great! thnx!

6 replies
andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

in my pics i have some there really easy all you do is cover with frosting of any kind and then get a circle cutter that looks like it will fit on top and then just rub the sides down with you finger

or u can make you cupcake to where there only half way up the paper cups and then put alittle frosting and cut a circle and let it dry and the place it on top. i dont know if it make sence just let me know if you have more questions.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 7

Hi - yes, I've made fondant covered cupcakes - very easy to do and they look great (google Planet Cake's blog on Wonderland Cupcakes).

First step is to cover the cupcake with a thin layer of ganache or buttercream and smooth. Make sure you get your ganache or buttercream right to the paper (but try not to get it on the outside of the paper).

Second step is to find a circle cutter that's going to give you a circle which will fit nicely over the top of the cupcake - a circle which is a little wider is better than one too small. Cut out your fondant.

Third step is to place the cut circle of fondant in the palm of your hand. Turn the cupcake upside down and place on the centre of the fondant in your palm. The cupcake will adhere to the fondant. Turn the cupcake (with attached fondant - still all upside down) around in your palm and use the edge of your thumb to help line up the edge of the fondant with the edge of the cupcake - you need to do a few turns to get it all neat and even.

I hope that all makes sense... it's a bit hard to describe - but very easy to do.

Kind regards,
Cris.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 7

Fondant covered cupcakes can be GORGEOUS. Check out the cupcakes at www.cakejournal dot com. Louise has some absolutely beautiful cupcakes and gives instructions for some of them.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 7

When I make them, I actually have some buttercream showing. I ice the cupcakes with about 1/4 inch of buttercream and smooth it down really flat. I roll out the fondant and use scrapbook stamps to emboss the fondant before cutting out the circles.

Makes it special and custom without a lot of hassle icon_smile.gif

I have a pic of a jumbo cupcake I did this way for mother's day in my photos.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #6 of 7

Love these cupcakes... http://lecupcake.blogspot.com/

Fondant cupcakes are a lot easier to do than petit fours too!

Edited to add: these are great too - http://www.hellonaomi.com.au/

okc-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okc-cakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 7

thank you all so much! idk what the heck i was thinking when she asked, for some reason i pictured in my mind a traditional cupcake shape with the swirled frosting on the top and then covered in fondant and still hold the shape. i dont know..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%