Question On Making Coral From Sugar

Sugar Work By lam159 Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 11:01am by lam159

lam159 Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

I have a question about making coral from sugar. I had talked to a person who saw an episode on the food network channel about melting sugar to a "hard boil" or "hard cracking" state and then pouring it on to kosher salt or seasalt...she wasn't sure which one. But anyway, once they poured it, they covered it up with more salt and left it over night. When it was taken out of the salt, it looked just like coral...groves in it and everything. Does anybody know what I am talking about? Has anybody tried this method or has seen this episode? I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything. We thought it would be Alton Brown and again, found nothing. I would really like to try this because I am making an aquarium cake for my daughter's graduation and she wants to study sharks. I have gotten some really good ideas from a few people about using royal icing and grape vines, but I would really like to try this method first and have that has a back up plan.

4 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not famliar with pouring it over salt, but I know you can use ice for that effect.

lam159 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:38am
post #3 of 5

How would you use ice? Would it be done the same way?

chellescountrycakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 5

I saw buddy just put ice cubes in a bowl, then pour the melted isolmalt over it. at least I'm pretty sure thats how it happened... it was his aquarium cake.

lam159 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:01am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, that is how he did it. I couldn't find isomalt, I guess you have to order it online. I didn't have time to do that. Someone on here had mentioned they used sugar-free candy (the main ingredient is isomalt). It worked great, but it seemed to melt. I tried putting it in the cooler and out of the cooler and it lost it's shape and melted. I ended up using grape stems and royal icing. That worked except someone I guess thought they would be nice and they put it in the cooler so it never had a chance to really harden and I didn't have time to put another coating on it. It all worked out though. Thanks for the response though!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%