Gold Fondant??

Decorating By gabitusm Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:37am by Jeep_girl816

gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I'm making a johnnie walker bottle cake, and I was wondering what should I use to give the fondant the gold color of the label??

I am a "hobby baker", and this is my first time I need the gold looking fondant.

Thank you very much!!!!

4 replies
gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 5

anyone?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #3 of 5

luster dust! I painted with silver yesterday on my nurse's cake & it worked great. added vanilla extract until it was a good consistency for painting. make sure your fondant is colored a nice gold yellow already. HTH

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

I agree...I mix my luster dust with vodka but any type of clear alcohol will work including the clear vanilla extract you probably already use in your fondant. There are versions of edible gold paint but you may have to find a cake store in order to find that rather than, say, a Michaels. Be prepared to paint a few coats to make it really look metallic.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 5

Yes I love luster dust too! I used fondant colored with a golden(not lemon) yellow and added a touch of brown to give a nice gold shade then used some vodka(use cheap stuff, whatever's on sale) to give it a nice paint like consistency and some control over where the dust goes and voila! The vodka evaporates and leaves gilded fabulousness

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%