Carrot Cake!

Baking By CanCakeMom Updated 7 Sep 2005 , 2:02pm by flayvurdfun

CanCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanCakeMom Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 15

Hey ladies... looking for a carrot cake recepie.. i tried the carrot cake XI recepie found on here and i find it a little dry. what can i do to make it moist.

14 replies
Mitzynva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mitzynva Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 15

I made it about it about 2 weeks ago and it was very moist for me but I had frozen it for 2 days before I unthawed it and decorated it. But you could also replace oil with applesauce. Good luck.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 15

In my carrot cake I substitute half the oil for applesauce and also add crushed pineapples. It's always moist.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 15

Hopefully Squirrelly Cakes won't mind me posting this - I got if off the Wilton site a while back. Haven't tried it out yet, though. My sister has requested carrot cake for her wedding, but that's still a ways off.

Ali

Squirrelly Cakes Carrot Cake
Here is my carrot cake recipe. Since you are covering it with fondant, I would leave out the nuts and raisins - it works well without - because the fondant would not appear smooth with them added in. I also fill it with a cream cheese frosting and leave at room temperature for up to 3 days with no problems as long as room temperature is 70 Fahrenheit or cooler.
You can double or triple the recipe with no problems.
Carrot Cake
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 cups of all-purpose flour, bleached or un-bleached
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. wheat bran (optional) not the cereal, but the kind you get from health food stores
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1/2 cup sultana raisins, optional
4 eggs, large
3/4 cup of Crisco oil
1/2 cup milk
2 cups coarsely grated carrots

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir together. Add nuts and raisins. In a separate bowl mix eggs, oil, milk and carrots. Make a well in the bowl containing the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, whisking only to combine. Pour into a prepared greased and floured pan - this can be made in a 9" or 10" springform pan, a 10" tube pan etc. I double the recipe and add another 1/4 recipe for a round, 3" deep 12" pan. Each recipe makes 6 cups of batter when the nuts and raisins are added. For a 12"x15" sheet pan, double the recipe and bake at 325 for approximately 65-68 minutes. The single recipe will take 50 to 60 minutes. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This cake tends to sink a bit in the middle when nuts and raisins are used, sometimes after removing from oven. If you have a really slow oven, it can take upwards to 90 minutes to bake a single recipe - it takes that long for my sister.
For springform pan, follow cooling directions. For all other pans, cool in pan for 15-20 minutes and then remove from pan. This cake can be torted and cream cheese filling can be added as follows. (The cake is easier to torte when the nuts and raisins aren't used or when previously frozen - but stills tortes well with a serrated knife either way.)
Cream Cheese Filling
1/3 cup softened butter
1, 8 ounce package of regular cream cheese, not the light kind
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups of icing sugar
Whip butter. Add cream cheese and whip until well blended. Add vanilla and icing sugar and whip until well mixed. Remember to place a buttercream bead around the outside rim of the cake so cream cheese filling won't seep through the sides.
If you are not covering with fondant, this cake can be refrigerated if desired. It keeps well either way. I make it as early as the Wednesday before a Saturday wedding and seal the cake with apricot glaze. I make the cream cheese filling and fill the cake the day before the wedding, but for home use I find it keeps well days ahead. When I make it for home, it stays on the counter for 4 or 5 days, no problem. The unfilled cake also freezes well and can be made up to 6 weeks in advance.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 15

HI CanCakeMom! Here is a recipe that is quick and easy for carrot cake. It is soooo yummy. I hope you enjoy it. icon_biggrin.gif

1 pkg. (2-layer size) spice cake mix
2 cups shredded carrots (about 1/2 lb.)
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple
3/4 cup Chopped Pecans

Prepare cake mix batter as directed on package, stirring in carrots, pineapple and pecans until well blended.

~Denise

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 15

You can add carrot juice. I made my mom a carrot cake for her bday using a box mix. Added carrot juice in place of water and added some fresh shredded carrots. it was sooo yummy. Ladycake told me about this and i love it.

denise2434 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the tip Susan! icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait to give it a try....it sounds yummy! I would have never thought of that.

~Denise

tara842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara842 Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 2:57am
post #8 of 15

I got this recipe from a friend that worked at a place called Santa's Workshop here in Colorado. I have made it now 4 times and 2 of those times were for the same company. One of the accountants who worked there told me that if I made her this cake every 2 months she would do all of my taxes for free! It is VERY good and VERY VERY moist and dense. If you make a 9x13x3 cake you have to double the recipe and it has to cook a little longer.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp.salt
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups grated carrot
8 1/2 oz. can crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Add sugar, oil and eggs. Mix well
Add carrots and drained pineapple and nuts.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 -40 minutes

Cream cheese frosting

Cream 1/2 cup butter, 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 tsp. vanilla.
Beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 15

The carrot recipe I use is from Gourmet Magazine. You can find it at Epicurious.com. I believe the name of it is "Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Icing." Its very good. The only thing, I omit the ginger and add 1/2 c. raisins that have been soaked in rum. If you don't find it let me know and I'll send you the recipe.

Regards, Naty

trini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trini Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:21am
post #10 of 15

THANK YOU FOR THAT RECIPE DENISE TELL YOUR MOM HER RECIPE IS VERY YUMMY I MADE IT TODAY FOR MY MUM BIRTHDAY EVERY ONE LOVED icon_sad.gif IT I ALSO GOT A CAKE ORDER FROM THE PARTY thumbs_up.gif HOPE I WILL BE GETTING MANY MORE ORDERS THANKS AGAIN ;PS EVERY ONE WAS ASKING IF I MADE IT FROM SCRATCH tapedshut.gif

denise2434 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 15

HI trini!! That is GREAT!! icon_biggrin.gif It is one of my favorites! It is sooo yummy and super easy! It's hard for people to tell the difference between it and scratch thumbs_up.gif ...and I never tell ...lol tapedshut.gif I just say it's a super secret recipe...heehee icon_wink.gif

Thank you sooo much for your sweet words!!
Hugs, ~Denise

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naty

The carrot recipe I use is from Gourmet Magazine. You can find it at Epicurious.com. I believe the name of it is "Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Icing." Its very good. The only thing, I omit the ginger and add 1/2 c. raisins that have been soaked in rum. If you don't find it let me know and I'll send you the recipe.

Regards, Naty

That sounds really good. Do you use yellow rasins or the brown ones? What kind of rum?

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

Hi Sangria, I use the brown raisins. For the rum, I use any (white, dark, or amber) that I have available. I do prefer Barcardi. I put the raisins in a small cup and just pour a bit of the rum over them. I let them soak a bit then drain them and add them to the batter. Instead of throwing away the rum icon_eek.gif , I add it to the icing instead of the water or milk. I use either cream cheese frosting or butter pecan frosting on this cake.

If I can help with anything else, just let me know. icon_wink.gif
Regards, Naty

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks so much, I can't wait to make this. icon_biggrin.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 2:02pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCakeMom

Hey ladies... looking for a carrot cake recepie.. i tried the carrot cake XI recepie found on here and i find it a little dry. what can i do to make it moist.

here's one that I have...it serves 24 never had a problem with this one being dry!

Ingredients include:
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp iodized salt
1 jar applesauce baby food (2.5 oz)
2 jar carrot baby food (2.5 oz each jar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan (or 2- 8"or 9" round).
In a medium bowl, stir eggs, sugar, and oil together.
Then combine flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture.
Put in the baby food and mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
When a toothpick inserted comes out clean it's done.
Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%