Pre-Made Buttercream

Decorating By mlocklear Updated 19 May 2010 , 3:00pm by mlocklear

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

I'm a hobby baker and have a few cakes that I'm working for this weekend. To save time, I'd like to purchase a tub or bucket of pre-made buttercream from my cake supply store. Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering if it'll be a bust.

5 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 6

If you have a Sam's in your area, the bakery department will sell you a 5 gallon bucket of buttercream for about $30. Quite a few people here use it to save time. I prefer the chocolate over the vanilla. I don't like Wilton's premade at all.

mlocklear Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 6

thanks for the tip! I can't believe you get so much for just $30 thumbs_up.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 6

Just a word of warning, Sam's stuff contains neither butter nor cream. Which is why they call it But-R-Creme.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 6

I personally do not like commercially made/bought buttercream because it isn't tasty... at least for me... I make all my buttercream because I want to give something that I would myself enjoy eating... some people do love the taste of those supermarket cake icings... to me it tastes like shortening..

mlocklear Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 6

my homemade buttercream doesn't contain butter or cream either.

Normally, I prefer to make my own but if you read my initial post, I have too many cakes to do this weekend and I don't have time to make it (I'm a SAHM to a 3 year old and a 2 month old, my days are pretty hectic as it is already). So I saw this as a solution to my problem.

Thanks for your opinions though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%