Help! Fresh Strawberry As Filling?

Baking By FloraFlora Updated 18 May 2010 , 5:33pm by FloraFlora

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a wedding cake for a friend this week. The bride wants fresh strawberry as cake filling. Anyone had previous experiences with that? Anything to watch out for?

Since I have to work during the day. I'm planning to ice the cake on Thursday night. Cover with fondant on Friday night. Add the gum paste flowers to the cake on Saturday right before the wedding which I am attending. Will the fresh strawberries keep that long even in the fridge?

Thanks in advance!

Flora

4 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

I usually make a strawberry flavored IMBC (with a teeny bit of Loranns and 4-6 tBs of strawberry extract) and frost one layer of thickness, then take fresh strawberries and cut into about 1/4 inch slices, layer them all over the frosting (close together but leaving an inch around the circumference), then covering them with another layer of the IMBC.

The cake was made/frosted (and covered w/ fondant) the day before the next nights event and the fruit was still fresh tasting...I had a leftover piece the next day and it still tasted great, not as fresh but def. firm and ripe!

If you envelope it the freshness seems to keep. Thats just how I do it, GL!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

I've done it also but made and served same day. I'm told the leftovers on day 2 were just as good! I iced the layer, added the berries then iced the bottom of the next layer so the berries were sandwiched between frosting...
LL
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 5

I don't like doing a cake like this more than the day before the event. However chilz has a great idea to "sandwich" the berries between layers of icing. If I had to do it ahead of time I would use this method.

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, tavyheather, chilz822, and mamawrobin.

I'll adjust my schedule to ice the cake on Friday night instead then... maybe sacrifice my hair appointment on Saturday to finish the cake. I rather the cake look more magnificent than I do. My hair is hopeless anyway. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%