Calling All Geography Buffs!!!!!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 28 May 2010 , 5:54pm by marthajo1

JGMB Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 16

My friend asked me to do a cake for her daughter's 16th birthday that she's going to serve to the Academic Bowl team at school. So, my idea is to write "Happy Birthday, Emily" on the top, then to surround that with all different sorts of trivia questions that would have the answer "16".

For example: 1/9 of a gross? Sulfur's atomic #? ..... but, I'm really lacking in questions about geography!

If any of you could come up with some, I'd be very, very grateful!!!

15 replies
prterrell Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 16

My DH and all his friends were on their HS's academic bowl team and are still up on their trivia...I'll email them, I'm sure they can come up w/ some good ones for you!

melmar02 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 16

More of a history than geography question - What was the 16th state? Who was the 16th President? Wait I just realized you would have to flip those (Abraham Lincoln was President #...)

Geography is definately a hard one! Maybe there is a famous lake that is 16 mi across?

tmac670 Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 16

Maine has 16 counties. Tennessee is the 16th state.

tavyheather Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 16

Is there a continent with 16 countries? or how about a hexadecagon, it's a 16-sided shape! This seems simple but it's hard...P is the 16th letter of the alphabet

JGMB Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 16

Great suggestions so far, everyone!!! I also appreciate the non-geography ones, so keep them coming, please! icon_razz.gif

BakedAlaska Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 16

Which line of latitude divides North and South Vietnam?

BakedAlaska Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 16

In the Public Land Survey System, which section of each township was set aside for school purposes?

BakedAlaska Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 16

How many lakes make up the Rotorua Lakes region of New Zealand?

(Can you tell I'm a geographer?) icon_wink.gif

prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:56am
post #10 of 16

How many personality types are classified under the Myers-Briggs classification system?

How many liangs are in one jin?

How many pawns are there in a chess set?
How many pieces does each player in a game of chess begin with?

In music, a whole note is divided into how many semiquavers?

What is the highway number of Canada's Yellowhead Highway?

Which King Louis was beheaded during the French Revolution?

There have been how many Popes named Benedict?

The M_ is the US military designation for the AR-15 rifle.

How many digits are in Visa and MasterCard account numbers?

What is the number of the French department Charente?

Which Amendment to the US Constitution allows the Congress to levy an income tax without apportioning it among the states or basing it on Census results?

On what birthday is Sleeping Beauty fated to fall into a magicked slumber?

What US Interstate runs from I-75 in Macon, GA to Montgomery St in Savannah, GA?

What is the name of the restaurant on the floor of the same designation in the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago?

_ Candles is the name of what 1984 film starring Molly Ringwald?

According to the song, loading how many tons gets you another day older and deeper in debt?

How many named colors can be used by name to define color in HTML and Cascading Style Sheets?

There are how many dead men in the poem by William Butler Yeats?

Sports questions:
What is the number of the car driven by Greg Biffle in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races?
What was the number of Peyton Manning's jersey when he was on the University of Tennessee's football team?
What jersey number did Joe Montana wear whe the SanFrancisco 49ers won 4 Super Bowls?

Math questions:
What cardinal number is written as XVI in Roman numerals?
What is 4 squared?
What is 1/2 of 32?
What is the square root of 256?
What is the smallest number with exactly 5 divisors?
What is the fourth power of two?
How many ounces are in an avoirdupis pound?
How many liquid ounces are in a pint?
What is the only integer that equals both m to the power of n AND n to the power of n, where m does not equal n?
What number comes next in the Padovan sequence 7, 9, 12?
What is the smallest ErdõsWoods number?

JGMB Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:57am
post #11 of 16

Wow, PTerrell, you've really done your homework!!! Thanks for going above and beyond for me -- I have plenty to choose from now! icon_razz.gif

tmac670 Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:08pm
post #12 of 16

Very nice Baked Alaska- I wanted to go global- but I did not know how to search it-- yours are great!

JGMB Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 16

Yes, thanks to all of you for your help! Now, let's just hope my wrist doesn't fall off from all of the piping I'll be doing. icon_wink.gif

prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 16

I can't take credit. Wikipedia and Google are my friends. icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #15 of 16

Unfortunately, I ended up not being able to do this cake. I got a call last Thursday that my daughter was in the hospital in New Orleans. I ended up staying down there with her until yesterday morning -- 3 trips to the ER in one week, ugh!

Anyway, my friend promised that I can use this idea for the same occasion next year. She told me to start thinking of questions that would have the answer 17!!

marthajo1 Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 16

What a fun idea for a cake! i am so sorry that you didn't get to do it cause I would have loved to see it!

I am also glad that your daughter is doing better!! (saw on another thread)

Quote by @%username% on %date%