Italian Bc

Baking By zirconiag Updated 21 May 2010 , 7:18pm by prterrell

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 14

Can I substitute shortening with butter for Italian Buttercream? I made some IMBC couple of weeks ago and I find the BC to be too buttery...so I am wondering whether I can substitute with half butter, half shortening

13 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 14

Did you use salted or unsalted butter? Usually the "too buttery" taste is a result of using salted butter.

zirconiag Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 14

Oohhhh I used salted

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 14

Remember, salted butter is a condiment. It's meant for putting on stuff, after it's cooked, like toast and rolls and baked potatoes. Unsalted butter is meant for cooking and baking.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 14

I have heard stories of people using half butter half shortening in IMBC. I've heard another that the baker would make a batch of IMBC and a batch of American BC and then just combine the two. Guess it makes a happy medium.

zirconiag Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 14

Got it...and I thought of substituting butter with margerine cos is softer when the mixture became curdled at one point ;p

prterrell Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 14

Never use margarine in frosting.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 14

To be able to use IMBC in the summertime, you can substitiute a portion of the butter with shortning (I use hi-ratio) This helps to raise the melting point of the icing so it doens't melt quite so easily. I have done 1/3 of it with no one but me being able to know the difference.

zirconiag Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 14

Loucinda,

I used vegetable shortening for my American BC in Wilton class so that it will hold longer. Can I use that instead in my IMBC?

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

To be able to use IMBC in the summertime, you can substitiute a portion of the butter with shortning (I use hi-ratio) This helps to raise the melting point of the icing so it doens't melt quite so easily. I have done 1/3 of it with no one but me being able to know the difference.

Thanks for this info. I usually make SMBC but I wasn't going to offer it this summer because of the heat and I don't have AC icon_sad.gif . I am going to give this a try.

I know this is off topic but great signature lines, lucinda and Rose-N-Crantz icon_smile.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I know this is off topic but great signature lines, lucinda and Rose-N-Crantz icon_smile.gif

Ditto to you, Lita, especially the last line in your signature. I'm going to write that one down and post it in my cake room.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 14

I don't use IMBC and have a few questions:

Have any of you used meringue powder in your IMBC instead of egg whites? Do you get the same, better, or worse results?

I assume IMBC with meringue powder keeps longer (and can be left out of the refrigerator longer) than if made with egg whites?

Does IMBC crust like American Buttercream? I think I've read that it can't be smoothed with Viva, and assume that's because it doesn't crust.

Can it be used for flowers or decorations requiring thick frosting?

Can it be used under fondant?

Thanks!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 14

I have made IMBC with powdered egg whites, but I prefer to use carton, pasteurized egg whites. A good brand to use is Kroger's "Break Free"....a not so good one (I find) is the "Just Whites" national brand.

Just because you use powdered egg whites doesn't necessarily make it able to sit out longer. The butter (pure cream) is still there, and there is less sugar to make it shelf stable. That's why it can only be left out for 24 hours or so....I have left ****mine**** out for 2 days or so, but never in really hot weather.

IMBC is a bit firmer than SMBC, and if you look in my pics, many of my cakes are IMBC. I think what helps me most, however, is that I add 8-12 ounces of melted, cooled white chocolate to mine----that is my "standard" recipe...and that helps keep it firm enough for borders, piping, and maybe a rose or two on a really good day. For most other things I just make a small batch of decorator icing (butter and PS).

I must echo the sentiment, however, that IMBC does NOT use salted butter. Yes, if you use salted butter, it will taste like butter. Use lots of vanilla, and some melted, cooled chocolate (white or dark or sem-sweet) helps.

prterrell Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I don't use IMBC and have a few questions:

Have any of you used meringue powder in your IMBC instead of egg whites? Do you get the same, better, or worse results?

Yes, that is how I do it about 1/2 the time. Works great and is easier to always have on hand.

Quote:

I assume IMBC with meringue powder keeps longer (and can be left out of the refrigerator longer) than if made with egg whites?

Honestly, it's fine either way. I took the temp of my egg whites once when I was using liquid egg whites from the carton, and the temp was 160 deg F, which is 20 deg higher than required to cook the eggs. I've had cakes out for days iced in IMBC and they've been fine.

Quote:

Does IMBC crust like American Buttercream? I think I've read that it can't be smoothed with Viva, and assume that's because it doesn't crust.

No, none of the European buttercreams crust, which in my book, is all to the good. You don't need any special methods to smooth like with powdered sugar frosting. It is much much easier to smooth. Just a light going over with a plastic bowl scraper or a metal bench scraper and it's perfect.

Quote:

Can it be used for flowers or decorations requiring thick frosting?

Yup. Another benefit is that it is the perfect consistency for all decorating methods without having to be adjusted. Just make it and use it for everything.

Quote:

Can it be used under fondant?

Yes.

Quote:

Thanks!!

You're welcome. Just FYI, there are a gazillion threads on this already which answer these and other IMBC questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%