What Exactly Is A Blog...do You Have To Be Able To Write?

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm by poohsmomma

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 13

Okay...so I have seen blogs and I kinda know what they are but not really.It looks to me like basically a diary of daily/weekly or whatever events.

Do I have to be a deep thinker and writer? What kind of things do you put in there ....pictures,articles etc?

Is it worth doing on my website.There is a page section to add a blog...

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
ngfcake Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 13

A blog can have many purposes. It could be used to share your thoughts or expertise on any topic, but you could also use it to promote your business. Look at pinkcakebox blog, she uses it for that! She posts pictures of her cakes with very little description, so no, you don't need to be a deep thinker or good writer to have a succesful blog. It all depends on the purpose of the blog.

ETA: BTW, I have a blog, but it's non-cake related and in Spanish. icon_lol.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 13

Basically, it is a web-log (hence BLOG).

While I don't think its a requirement to be a good writer, you should have a good grasp of grammar, sentence structure and how to speak to an audience that is not physically in front of you.

The best advice I can give for a blog is to decide upfront what you want to present. Will it be full of party planning tips, will it be strictly business, or will there be personal posts, will you share your weekly creations, will you soft-sell (entice people to come in)? Once you decide the intent, writing it should be easy. REMEBERING to write it, that's the hard part, for me at least icon_redface.gif

metria Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 13

(this is only from a customer perspective, I don't run a business)

If you want your blog to help/support your business, find time to post your most recent cake orders. Say a little bit about the cake and your customer. When potential customers read your blog, they can see that you're really customizing the order to their needs.

Example:

This week, a sweet little girl named Jessica turned 5. She just loves ponies and the color pink, so I made a <insert cake description>.

Doesn't have to be long or very descriptive.

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks Ladies...This really helps!! I may give it a whirl!!

Kima920 Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 13

I have a blog about being a cake decorator and a first time mom. So its about my business along with a personal aspect. It shows my customers a different side of me, a personal connection. I don't blog every week maybe every 2 weeks or so. I also include pictures of cakes I have done and what I have coming up. And so far the response I gotten has been great. I use blogspot.com and you can add people through an email list so Every time you do a blog it gets emailed to them.

PinkLisa Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 13

First I think you need to decide what you want your blog to be about. I personally don't prefer to mix personal with business but that depend on the nature of your business. I think that short is better than long. Nobody has time to read a long entry. I suggest you find blogs you like and emmulate them. Good luck!

Doug Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #8 of 13

it used to be:

either: Dear Diary.....(and death to the sibling who peaked at it)
or
said over coffee/tea/or other beverage --- "I just have to tell you about....."

----
today it is:

Dear faceless, numberless readers who are bored and hoping to find something interesting to read, I just have to tell you about.... (tho' some are more of the dear diary mode and they don't care who looks)

indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #9 of 13

I totally agree with PinkLisa. I personally hate the daily-diary things and definitely advocate NOT mixing business with pleasure (i.e. personal). I had a friend who recently started his own blog for his business and he had a couple of entries about his opinions on some political stuff. I strongly suggested that if he was going to have a business blog, then he needed to keep it business. If he wanted to voice personal political opinions, then he needed to have a blog SEPARATE from his business.

Decide what KIND of blog you want to be.

Is it just a showcase to show cakes you've made .... a more formal "facebook" format? Are you targeting other businesses? Is it helpful hints to other cake makers on how you did a cake? Is it advice to brides on how to order a cake and an educational format to teach them what they need to know when they begin this process?

Whatever format you select, keep it consistent so your audience knows what to expect. ("Oh check Shirley's blog .... she always has good photos on how to put a cake together.")

indydebi Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #10 of 13

Oh..... and I think that no matter what kind of blog it is, yes you DO have to know how to write.

The soon-to-be teacher in me laments over the dying art of proper writing and anyone who "publishes" ..... on paper or electronically .... has a responsibility to set the example and do it right.

Otherwise .... keep it on facebook or myspace or a text screen where "casual literacy" is somewhat accepted.

Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #11 of 13

I'm going to chime in here... blogs can have such various meanings to different people, but there is one thing that the best blogs have in common... they speak to people on a deeper level. Whether humorous, technical, whimsical, or about a person's medical issues, they are successful if they strike a chord with people. And while it is not a *requirement* that you are 'compelling' writer (there are no 'requirements' because ANYONE can write one) it doesn't hurt one bit! And at the very least, you should have a decent grasp of your chosen language. Honestly, who wants to sit and read something that is difficult to understand, right? Especially for someone like me, who is kind of stickler about grammar, etc. I can't sit and read something that says, "I done been wanted to write this for a long time!" (Please understand I am in NO way saying you write that way, or slamming anyone whose primary language is NOT english!! But I would not personally attempt to write a blog in a language that I don't know intimately!)

Blogging can be wonderful, and can sometimes turn into a career. (See Cake Wrecks! Jen is infamous now!) But it can also be really, really bad. It's all up to you. But chances are great that if you find a subject that you are really 'into' you're going to have some fun with it!

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 13

I thought I would add my two bits. I have a blog. I'm not a really intelegent person or a deep thinker/writer. You just post whatever you want, whenever you want. If you want to post pictures, you just do.

poohsmomma Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 13

But, yes, you should have to know basic grammar and punctuation. I just read one today that had several mistakes. The teacher in me told me to just exit that blog and move on. The mistakes were making me crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%