How Long Can I Store This Cake???......

Decorating By Enticing_Designs Updated 18 May 2010 , 12:06am by MCurry

Enticing_Designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enticing_Designs Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 4

I have quite the delima! Bare with me, I have a few key details I have to add...I am 38 weeks pregnant and I have my babyshower coming up this Saturday the 22nd. I just went to the doctor last Thursday and she says that since I am dilated to 3cm, that she will be conducting a "procedure" (i'm sure the ladies know what I may be talking about) this Thursday to help start my labor, because she says I'm ready. Well...I was going to be making the cake for my shower on Thursday and Friday. Now it looks as though I will be going into labor on Thursday or Friday. My mother, who has planned this shower says she will continue the shower and have the guests as planned. Now...my question is...can I make my cake today, fully decorated and freeze it for Saturday. I'm not positive on what I am decorating with. I think I'm just going to do buttercream with fondant accents. However I don't want the cake to taste funny after thawing, and I don't want the fondant to be affected in any way. And how would I go about covering the cake to freeze it without messing up the decorations??? Sorry for ALL the details...but I just wasn't planning on this baby coming so early, as this is my 3rd child and I have always carried full and past full term!! Thanks for any suggestions or advice icon_smile.gif

3 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 4

If you could freeze it then, thaw it in the fridge (bring it to room temp gradually)...that should assure minimal problems. If you make any doodads for it...just be sure to label the box and leave directions for the one bringing it to the shower.

Congratulations! I wish you the best!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 4

Rest assured the cake will NOT taste funny or dry icon_smile.gif
As has been stated you can fz it well wrapped and take from fzr to frig overnight (or similar time frame) then bring to room temp. Keep it wrapped in frig but unwrap once taken to room temp.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #4 of 4

You can and it should be fine. However, after you decorate it, consider putting it in the fridge to firm up your buttercream so your cake stays perfect looking. If I were freezing the cake, I would double or triple wrap it with plastic wrap to make sure it is sealed well. The day before the event, have your Mom move it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost. Then it should be taken out how many hours you normally recommend.

If it is sealed well in freezing and defrosted appropriately no one should be able to tell the difference.

Best wishes!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%