Fondant/graduation Hat

Decorating By DivinelyDelicious Updated 18 May 2010 , 11:35pm by esq1031

DivinelyDelicious Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

I could use some pointers on making a 3D graduation cap as well as a chef hat out of fondant my main concern is it's stability.

6 replies
esq1031 Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 7

I would love to hear the answers because I have to do one for a cake in 2 weeks and am concerned as well. What is the best way to get the shape of the mortarboard???

tracycakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 7

I've made several and I just cut a square of gumpaste/fondant and let it dry for several days. I also cut a circle for the bottom. I made a tassel using my extruder. My website (in my signature line) has a green 2 tier graduation cake I made a couple of weeks ago. It has the mortarboard I made.

princesscatt Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

I have to do one too. I wonder if you could bake a small bowl shaped cake, cover that in fondant, make the morter board, and then make a braid and use the extruder, as mentioned to make the tassle? That is my plan...

Question, where can i find an extruder?

Lindsram Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:21am
post #5 of 7

I just made one this weekend. I used a round cake pan and covered it in fondant. Then I made a square of fondant and let it dry. then I put it on my cake and stuck a dowel through the square and hat and that anchored everything. As for the tassel i tried to do the rope thing but it wasn't working out. So i decided to roll out a rectangle of fondant and cut it like fringe. That worked out amazing! It's in my pics if you want to see. It was a whole lot easier than I thought.

Lindsram Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:23am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscatt

I have to do one too. I wonder if you could bake a small bowl shaped cake, cover that in fondant, make the morter board, and then make a braid and use the extruder, as mentioned to make the tassle? That is my plan...

Question, where can i find an extruder?

I bought one on ebay but I haven't used it yet. It's by Makin's. It only cost 2.95 with the same shipping.

esq1031 Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 7

I actually went on Wiltons website and found a bunch of different ideas under their cake section. It's worth a look...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%