Stenciling Or Decorating On Uniced Cookie?

Baking By wildflower Updated 20 May 2010 , 7:36am by mrsc808

wildflower Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 10

Hi!

I have to make cookies for wedding favours and there is a huge amount to make. I plan on having the cookies monogrammed and I was wondering if it was possible to stencil with ri or food colouring etc directly on the cookie without icing the cookie first?
it would save me soo much time so im really hoping someone has done this before!
Any other advice regarding cookies, icing, monograms is much appreciated.
TIA~

9 replies
cookiemookie Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:22am
post #2 of 10

It can be done, I have some Valentine cookies in my photos if you want to take a look. They are not monograms but just some simple stenciled designs I did on uniced cookies. They were done using royal icing.

If you have a lot of them to do, why not use a great tasting fondant on them and then stencil the monogram?

Just a thought.

donnella2045 Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:56am
post #3 of 10

i just took a look at your cookies - they are beautiful!

A good tasting fondant is the route I usually go when I have a lot of cookies to make. Wilton has a recipe for a glaze that is similar to poured fondant and dries hard. It can be spread on with a spoon and that goes quickly.

wildflower Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you guys so much!
I have a box of wilton fondant that i previously bought but was unable to use. Would that work or is it truly terrible?
Just asking because i have depleted my budget and even the cookies are a stretch so to make mmf would be a bit harder
Sorry for all the questions!

donnella2045 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

i honestly would not use the wilton - i use it for modeling only. If you want to save some $ how about icing them with royal icing and then stenciling?

cindy58 Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 10

If you decide to use the bare cookie under a stencil maybe tinting the dough would make them more attractive.

wildflower Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you guys for the advice, Im scared to do the royal icing because ive never done it before and it seems time consuming with all the flooding, drying etc. Plus i havent figured out if i can ice all the cookies and freeze them without hassle.
if i was to go that route, what icing would you recommend for ri?

rhondab Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 10

Have you considered decorating before baking? You can use an egg white wash or slightly thin and tint some of your cookie dough, then bake as usual. The egg wash coloring will be delicate, but have a pretty sheen. The cookie dough trim will give a raised monogram that will show up well.

rhondab Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 10

Have you considered decorating before baking? You can use an egg white wash or slightly thin and tint some of your cookie dough, then bake as usual. The egg wash coloring will be delicate, but have a pretty sheen. The cookie dough trim will give a raised monogram that will show up well.

mrsc808 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:36am
post #10 of 10

I recently did 500 cookies for favors and did RI. The bride would have been happy with mmf but I had to be a pain and shoot myself in the foot. It was a couple of weeks of doing my full time job, then coming home and working on cookies. (I was able to freeze the dough, but not the decorated cookies as the RI developed discoloration and a slight bitter taste.)I would recommend the genius suggestion of tinting the cookie dough. Wish I had thought of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%